Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Negative Space

Maybe the thing that has been annoying me lately is the fascination with war, murder, death, car crashes, floods, dog fighting, and the rest. I would blame the media but they are just a conduit. They are only producing the fluff that consumers want to see so they can hawk Viagra and Woolite. McDonalds and CNN are essentially the same thing. One appeals to the basic need for sustenance, the other to safety (shelter).

Perhaps random acts of kindness are too boring to sell advertising. There's another pervasive attitude that you must be despondent or living with adversity to be worthy of charity or kindness. Shows like Extreme Home Makeover (or whatever) at first seemed altruistic, but you quickly see the deluge of advertising and product placement that fills the air time.

They're essentially paying a family that has had some horrific accident/disease/disaster for their story with a new house and consumer goods. I suppose it's better to grieve/heal/re-start your life with a new house (even if it sticks out like a sore thumb in your neighborhood) than to go through hard times with less than 2500 square feet and old appliances.

I'm cynical and I have no solutions to propose. I mean, even Oprah does her "plight of Africa" shows and interviews with mothers that killed their own kids. This is why I love Ninja Warrior. It's 100 contestants from all walks of life trying as hard as they can to be named a Ninja Warrior by gathering up their strength and doing battle with an obstacle course. All of the contestants cheer for each other - there's no rivalry, just support. That's how everything should be.

0 comments:

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP