Friday, August 24, 2007

For My Non-Nerd Homies

If you need or have been thinking about getting a new computer, Woot! might have your ticket. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros - Fast processor, plenty of RAM, the latest version of Windows (Vista), plenty of hard drive space, a disk drive that plays/rips/burns any kind of CD or DVD, and it's only $305 with shipping!!

Cons - It's a refurbished unit (potential issues), 90-day warranty (might be extendable directly through Compaq), it's a Compaq (not my favorite), no monitor, and you have until 11:59 tonight or whenever stock runs out to decide (that's how Woot! rolls).



The bottom line is that if I needed a new machine and had the $$, this would be a simple decision for me. You couldn't buy all of these parts for $300, so even if there was the need to replace a part, it's still a bargain. Also, TigerDirect has 19" LCD monitors (flat panel, yo) for less than $150.

5 comments:

Live Rabbit Fur 11:57 AM  

Do you have any non-nerd homies?

bigsoda 12:23 PM  

I resent that! And, as a non-nerd homey, I'd like to point out that a P4 processor doesn't pack the same power the newest processors do, so Vista may run like a dog on this machine. I mean that in the non-nerdiest way possible. WOOT!

Chris B. 1:03 PM  

Sure, a P4 is not a dual-core proc, but it does have the precursor tech to dual-core - Hyperthreading. It will certainly not be a slow machine. Also, for $299 you could make it a Linux machine.

Nerd.

Kim 9:06 AM  

Eeeeek!
He's doing it AGAIN!
Talkin' all that techy tech RAMalama ding dong fancy pants computer SPACETALK!

Readers of Fledgling Times, please tell Chrisb I'm not talking to him until he stops this Moon business.

Honestly!

Kim 9:07 AM  

"Hyperthreading."

Wash your mouth out!

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP