Monday, August 27, 2007

Lance Briggs Was Right

I thought he was a little short-sighted in saying that people who didn't make the kind of money football players make (98-99% of the world) couldn't understand how he could be upset about being "franchised" to the tune of $7 million one year after turning down $33 million on a long-term deal even though he went to the press (conduit to me and the other "99 percenters") to discuss it. He's right - I can't understand him.

Let's imagine that he has nothing to do with the $350K Lamborgini that was found on the side of the road overnight. He wouldn't take a $33 million deal from the Bears because it was a few million short of his expectations. He finally finds the strength to come to terms with the franchise tag and the $7+ million that comes with it. After all that negotiating/pouting/threatening, he gets the most out-of-place vehicle one could own in the city of Chicago.

Again, I don't make $7 million, or even the league minimum (something like $300K), so I have no frame of reference for what it feels like to have your hopes and dreams (finally manifested as an over-priced, ridiculously proportioned sports car) wrapped around a pole. Shit, I only paid $18K for my car but I would have been mortified to crash it right away. This must be, like, 19.4 times worse for him.

He is very lucky to be such a good linebacker. If he sucked at it, he might have been forced to find work outside of the NFL. Can you imagine such a tragic and meaningless existence for such a high draft pick? Me either.

3 comments:

bigsoda 6:54 PM  

I'm imagining it right now... It's funny as fuck.

edP 7:42 PM  

I took his car. Blame me. Maybe if I take the heat for this fiasco the Bears will slap the franchise tag on me.

Chris B. 7:22 AM  

I'll be your entourage.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP