New Radiohead
I may be late to the party on this one, but the new Radiohead record is nearly upon us. It appears that they've decided to circumvent traditional distribution (and record label?) for this release. It'll be available in a "discbox" edition for $80 (which includes standard hard goods as well as the download versions) or the downloaded version for $1 - $100, depending on what you feel is fair. It's all being handled through their Web site.
Regardless of how you feel about Radiohead, this is a huge step forward in the shifting of the RIAA paradigm. I've been a fan for a long time and recently I've enjoyed a number of re-takes of Radiohead songs. I got the reggae versions, dub/crunk versions, lullabye versions, and the excellent medley by Hard n Phirm.
At the core, Radiohead is a talented, artistic group that does new and different things with pop music. This is rare - especially at their level. I'm hoping to get my hands on the box shortly after it's released. I'll post reviews as soon as I've digested it.
UPDATE: Oh yeah - if you're looking for a gift for my upcoming birthday, I would love one of these: ZipZip 2GB Memory Brick


2 comments:
Are you serious? This is the first I've heard of it.
Totally serious. Follow the link to the site they set up just to pull this off. The more I think about it, the cooler the whole thing is.
The Smashing Pumpkins released a ton of unreleased music just before (or at the same time) that they broke up. I thought that was cool - they made a ton of money and wanted to give something back to their fans. It doesn't get much better.
Fuck the RIAA and fuck Clearchannel, too.
Post a Comment