Tuesday, October 16, 2007

More Cool Tools (Redux)

Friends, I scan the tech blogs so you don't have to. Today, I bring you three excellent utilities that can make things easier or simply bring joy back into your life.

1. LClock - simple utility that spruces up the right end of your Windows task bar. The effect is subtle, but cool. Plus, the calendar is a welcome addition. Simple, small-footprint, easy upgrade.

2. synctoy - if you have an external hard drive and move or add lots of information, this is a Microsoft tool that gives you a number of different options for synchronizing files/folders. I have been ripping my entire CD collection to my primary hard drive and copying those files to an external drive for safe keeping. If I already have a "Radiohead" folder, I have to open it to see if I've already added a specific album. Now multiply that by hundreds of artists. This utility allows me to only add stuff to the external drive that isn't already there without changing anything on the primary drive. There's an option to make both drives look exactly the same, too. (Plus other options.) Free, simple tool.

3. infrarecorder - not sure if Roxio or Nero is the better CD/DVD recording suite? Skip both and turn to this open source (free) and fully loaded software package. I've burned three error-free audio disks and one data disk already. It's pretty simple and configurable (if you're into that sort of thing) and it's free.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP