Tuesday, October 02, 2007

BMX Museum

Ok, so it's just a web site where you can submit pictures and stories of your old BMX bike. If you were into BMX back in the 80s or 90s, you'll dig it. Here's my entry: http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/free_agent/6780

5 comments:

P-Dizzle 6:32 AM  

Sweet. They have a version of my Rampar that got ripped off at Peterson and Cicero in 1980. I had it for only two weeks, after staring at it in the store for like 4 months.

I loved that bike!

P-Dizzle 7:15 AM  

Rampar was a respectable poor man's BMX. Redlines and Mongooses were hot shit back then, if you could afford them. All we talked about were mags, goosenecks, forks.

I remember modding out an old banana seater to look like a poor man's bmx.

There was some lot we called "Bunny Hutch" that basically revolved around a billboard that someone had graciously turned into a little BMX course. So awesome.

P-Dizzle 8:48 AM  

You almost hoped to wipe out because the top tube, the gooseneck and the reinforcing bar on the handlebars all had nice cushy pads wrapped around them.

Memory lane!

What's with all this mountain bike crap anyway? (yes I have one) Having to hunch forward and crane your neck up to see is for chumps! This isn't Breaking Away! How are you supposed to be chillax on those things? What a bill of goods!

Those recumbent bikes look like a blast, but they cost beaucoup $$ and also make you look slightly handicapped.

There's an untapped market out there for adults who don't need to ride bikes over some fucking logs. Normal human beings only need what, 2-5 speeds on their bike, really.

My favorite bike ever was a banana seater that had an "overdrive"--when you stopped to coast and moved the pedal back slightly (not enough to brake), it would kick into a lower gear; no cables or knobs or anything. That was the bomb.

Stolen out of my basement!

Chris B. 1:41 PM  

Whoa - PD the BMXer! I wouldn't have guessed. I'm quite familiar with Rampar. I had a Team Murray - along the same lines but a notch or two below Rampar. And that was after my Huffy got stolen. After those two, I saved and saved and got the green and chrome monster in those pictures. Wouldpkr can attest - I was on that thing for days at a time. (He had the sweet GT pro.)

Elk Grove had an official BMX track which we rode all summer. There was the industrial park with all kinds of loading docs, pavement berms, jumps, etc. Also, we had the forest preserve for woodsy riding. I used to keep up with 10-speeds with my bike. It's all about the chainrings. (43-16 if I remember correctly.)

If you dig around on the BMX Museum site, this one dude (Brian P.) has a ton of cherry rides, many look brand new. He also has a faux bike shop with all 80s bikes in his garage. All the gear in the display cases stirs some excellent memories. He's a genius.

P-Dizzle 2:31 PM  

Remember that Huffy that had the big fat seat and some plastic acoutrements that made it look motorcycle-ish? kind of quasi-BMX? Might have been the Thunder Road (from the site) but I seem to remember it looking a lot phatter. Not much use for anything too acrobatic, sort of funny-looking, but smoooth, like a Cadillac. These kid's bikes now that are tooled like choppers with super wide tires have a similar feel.

Now I look at music gear the way I used to browse bike stores. And when I see a Mongoose I still think "Mongoose" reverently, "Yeah I could buy that if I wanted!"

That place, the Bunny Hutch, is still there (it's a mini-golf, batting cages place on Devon & Lincoln); I wonder if that billboard lot is still there.

Sometimes we would ride to River Park because that was the most foresty place around at the time besides Rosehill Cemetery. Like Dekalb, it had 'a' hill. One time we went, my bike was safe (new cable lock as opposed to those thin chain locks a la the one that circled Chachi's thigh) but we watched a bunch of Puerto Rican kids steal three of our friends bikes. We were across the damn river and we saw them over the 15 foot fence that seperated the river from the park. They ran up with bolt cutters and just took off in seconds. We ran around to the other side as soon as we saw but alas too late. This was pre-Rampar theft (which brought my total of my bikes stolen to three).

A couple years later it was all about who had the lightest ten speed. But if you're 14 with a ten speed, you still might jump a few ramps or try a few bunny hops.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP