Weekend Wrapup
Ok, starting from Thursday, this was a long weekend. Big Drag had a rock show Thursday night in downtown Rockford. When we first pulled up, I did a quick scan of the place (flanked by boarded up strip clubs and 22-inch rims) and noticed that there was not really space for a band, no P.A., and no microphones. I was about ready to make the case for getting back in the cars and heading right back out of town, then realized that the 1.5 hour trip made me thirsty.
After the first beer, the owner showed up and explained that the sound guy would be there soon with all the P.A. gear. More beers. Opening act was a guy named Jeff Furious and he rocked out with his laptop and guitar. We set up into a slightly claustrophobic corner and started playing at roughly 11:30. I think it was our tightest set to date, but there were only six or seven people in the whole place. Bob, the owner set up a shot break (scotch, I think) and paid up pretty handsomely considering the turnout. I got home at 2, to work the next day at 8.
Friday night, Supercush played at the House. I got a schedule from John by e-mail weeks earlier and I knew that we were scheduled to start at 9:30. The first band that played was pretty young (inexperienced) and the drummer broke down his whole set on stage (big foul). Nobody told him to move quicker, so the second band started 15 minutes late. When the sound guy told them they had one song left, you'd think that someone had been killed. So they didn't get to play their last 4 or 5 songs to the 5 people that came out to see them. Big deal.
I guess they were pretty upset (but not man enough to confront the sound guy or the door guy) so they trashed the bathrooms. I usually try to keep a safe distance from this kind of childish bullshit, but I had to pee just before our set and the bathrooms were trashed. I really, really wanted to pick a fight but we had to go on and I probably would have pissed myself, anyhow.
So, we played the show and I focused on not pissing myself. No shot break this night. Correction - I had a shot of espresso which probably didn't help my crank factor. Espresso and tequila have the same pugilistic effect on me, I guess. Also, not the best Supercush show, either. That won't happen again. Next time we play will be our best show.
Saturday was mostly working from home, moving equipment, and walking the dog. Today, I went to church, watched the Bears get their ass handed to them (until the last couple of drives when they finally played like a real, NFL offense -- to no avail), then drove to the city to dine with my folks and sister who just had a birthday. We dined at Feast which was pretty damned good. I'm back home now, writing this and essentially postponing doing the rest of the work I was supposed to have done by end of day Friday.
Let's see how long I can go without postulating about the plight of the Bears...


0 comments:
Post a Comment