Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I'll Still Take a Leak

Tony Romo still hasn't played as many games as Grossman but he is now starting to look human. Remember, Grossman stepped in two years ago and looked good in the playoffs (the defense dropped that one for us). He also looked stellar for the first six games of last season. That's when he started the "good Rex/bad Rex" trend that continued into this year.

I was a Rex supporter all along. It was a great story fraught with freak injury and faithful recovery. With the strong support of Thomas Jones, I think we saw a QB with a great arm, lots of upside, and the respect of his team. Before there was a full season of film available to his opponents, he was able to do great things. Then it caught up with him.

Romo could be on the same trajectory. The difference is that he has one of the best receivers in the game, a fairly strong line, and a functional running game to support his play. I feel bad for Rex, but to become a star in the league, he would have had to erase the doubts from last year by overcoming the lousy running game, mediocre receivers, and old o-line.

So, I don't doubt that he could still be a good quarterback - it just won't happen here. Hopefully, Jerry Angelo has already started the process to find our 22nd or 23rd QB. I say we already have him (Chris Leak) but a couple of good (really good) throws in the preseason does not a Brady or Manning make.

Even longevity (Brett Favre, for instance) does not necessarily equate to success. I mean, the Bears won the whole shootin' match with McMahon. I think the thing that creates a true superstar QB is not something you can coach or pick out in a draft. Peyton Manning and his younger brother have a very similar background and genealogy but a very different status in the league. If Drew Bledsoe doesn't drop out, Tom Brady could be stranded on the sideline or shipped off to obscurity somewhere else.

I understand why we got Rex, why we kept him through all the rehab, and why he's on the sidelines (probably for good) right now. That's the NFL for you.

1 comments:

bigsoda 1:40 PM  

Rex is still better than Griese. Griese is just an older Orton. I'm with you on Romo. I think his success has been largely due to his relative anonymity. He is pretty good in the pocket and knows how to buy time there, but teams will get wise to his tendencies and Dallas will not end up winning their division, despite the good start. I think the best thing that can happen to the Bears this year would be for Griese to do well for a spell, then get sidelined for a bit. When Rex comes back in, he'll shoot the lights out and everyone will forget all that shit they shoveled on him. I'm not a huge Rex fan, but the guy's a lot better than he's been given credit.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP