Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Computer Stuff (i.e. Break From Football)

Out of the pan and into the fire. My wife and the Queen of all Hipsters should stop reading here.

We have a few computers in our house. One of them is a freebie from my last job. They went off-lease and the company didn't want to spend the money to ship them back so they offered them to us. This is a fairly minimal system meant for business applications so I figured I could turn it into a utility machine.

Most recently, I was reading up on Ubuntu Linux which is an alternative to Windows. I've been on this open-source kick recently and I've replaced Internet Explorer, Outlook (Express), MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Photoshop, Norton and more with free and seemingly more stable (and less resource-heavy) software. Ubuntu bundles most of the programs I've been using already with it's primary OS package.

The release of Windows "Vista" has brought to light how ridiculous things have gotten. The new system requirements just to run that operating system (basic computer functions - opening programs, switching windows, etc.) are of super-computer proportions now. 2 GB of RAM was the MAX that Windows would recognize a week ago - now it's the recommended amount.

So, since I have this free computer with an old version of Windows 2000 on it, no better time to wipe out the hard drive and try Linux. First step - download Ubuntu Linux. There are a few different options based on the computer's specs. In this case, I went with Xubuntu because it's developed for older systems with less RAM, slower processors, etc.

The download itself is pretty big; >500 MB. It's an "iso" file, which means that it's an exact image (set of files) to be burned onto a CD. I double-clicked the file I downloaded and it automatically opened in Roxio Easy CD Creator. All I had to do was insert a disk and click the "burn" button.

The next step will be to load the disk in the free machine and restart it so it boots from the CD. It'll then ask me about how to handle the hard drive space, my time zone, etc. and I'll be off and running. I'll post about my installation experience and eventual use of Linux down the road. If it works like I expect it will, I'll probably use the 64-bit version of the software on my laptop and continue my quest to shed Microsoft.

12 comments:

bigsoda 9:19 AM  

Beyond 2G of RAM, Vista (the 32bit version) starts to eat into your memory with system storage (bios, video memory, etc.). I installed 4G, but only 3G was addressable. Plus, due to driver issues, my motherboard will not recognize USB 2.0 devices with any more than 2G installed. So, now I have 2G of DDR ram sitting on my desk... The promise of new drivers is out there, but why didn't MSFT get Vista into the hands of those who needed it earlier so we didn't have to go through this shit<interrobang>

Chris B. 10:01 AM  

Did you see Bill Gates on the Daily Show? He said it was tested by beta testers for a while now and was finally ready to go. Isn't that enough?

Thus, I'm hopeful for Linux.

tom o 10:06 AM  

Ubuntu is great. I'm running it at home and on a virtual machine at work. You can spend hours just downloading all sorts of apps that you will probably only open once but who cares, they are free and cool.

I'm still dependant on MS for the music software - although this might be an option:
http://ardour.org/

tom o 10:35 AM  

this looks promising too:
http://ubuntustudio.org/

Live Rabbit Fur 8:13 PM  

You don't have to tell me to stop reading - it's a reflex. I can't even get through the comments. If you ever want to pass a secret message for boys only...

Chris B. 6:59 AM  

I toyed around with Word Press and it is nice but I'm pretty rooted in with Blogger. I have a few different blogs that I'm working with and they were all started before I became aware of WP. I can definitely see where Google is on the path to becoming the next Microsoft. The Microsoft of the Web, if you will.

Kim 1:32 PM  

MY EYES
IT BURNS, CHRIS B, IT BURNS!

(Today, one of my buddies shrieked when it was suggested she shitcan her Walkman and get an Ipod. "Then I'd have to DOWLOAD!" she protested.)

Still Tivo and Blackberry free,
The Queen of All Hipsters

Kim 1:57 PM  

I'm sorry. I took revenge.
Go see:
http://bastantealready.blogspot.com/2007/02/revenge.html

Kim 1:58 PM  

Psssst!
This goes for you TOO, Big TechyTalk Soda, up there!
I'll give you "MSFT!"

Chris B. 2:16 PM  

1. You don't have to download songs to use an iPod. You can transfer the music from all of your current CDs if you want. (Let your friend know.)

2. Rad Fem luddite!

3. I commented on your post about my post on which you commented already.

Kim 3:10 PM  

Chrisb

1. I think even that would be too much for her. She has a definate saturation point with Techy Tech stuff. She plays a mean guitar tho -- funny, she had no problem gettin' all Techy Tech with her fancy new PA system. I'll remind her of this.

2. I am ascaird of the RadFems.

3.I read your comment on my post about your post on which I commented already and I commented again.

Chris B. 3:34 PM  

Sure-fire defense against the radfems is some red hot Vista vs. Linux debate.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP