Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Teacher Guilty of Showing Porn in Class

I find this to be astonishing.

Apparently, a teacher showed some highly graphic porn sites to her middle school class. She claimed that she clicked on a benign site and these sites began popping up out of her control. An "expert" for the prosecution says that since the links to these sites were highlighted, she must have clicked on them. I'll skip to the end - she was found guilty and at this time could be sentenced to 40 years in jail.

What in the world is happening? Let's say the teacher was totally out of her mind and was intentionally showing these sites to her class. I cannot argue that this would be ok, however, (in my humble opinion) this is no worse than a History teacher showing pictures of soldiers at war or prisoners dying in concentration camps.

I don't know the teacher and I didn't see her demeanor in the trial, but really, what would her motivation be for showing such things to a class? If she was a predator, wouldn't she weed out the succeptible kids and show them away from the others? Why would she risk her job (even if she wasn't aware of the potential legal ramifications) and show this in a classroom where another teacher could easily pop in at any time?

Finally, how can a jury and a judge ignore the allegation that the school had allowed a security measure to lapse? I guess, for that matter, why hasn't she filed a countersuit if this is true?

If she had a previous criminal history of corrupting minors, I take back everything - but from the article, she appeared to be totally clean. 40 years on a first offense seems very steep. Especially for an offense that has probably happened to everyone by now (unwanted porn popups) - just not in front of children.

6 comments:

Moderator 2:33 PM  

I wish my junior high teachers showed me porn. Heaven knows I was looking for it at every corner.

olddogdk 5:59 PM  

I thinks it's terrible that she faces such a stiff sentence under the penal codes. The prosecutor must be a real boob! If this becomes a seminal case, every Tom, Dick and Harry will be coming out of the woodwork to jump on this sort of thing. That kind of litigation will tie-up school districts, strapping them financially and possibly putting them in arears.

DC Liar 11:02 PM  

Sounds like a text-book malware issue.

If anyone who had access to the computer (ie: everyone in the school) had downloaded the adware rootkit (accidentally or otherwise) that shit would start cycling as soon as a connection to the Internet was established.
Furthermore, it's stupid-easy to accidentally open a link inadvertantly when scrolling using the sidebar next to a vertical scrolling banner ad - One slip and click. That shit happens to me all the time when accessing Washington Post online. Frustrating as hell.

I had a run-in with malware awhile back. I was trying to find cheat-codes for a PS2 game & inadvertantly downloaded a nasty piece of adware. It would auto-connect to the Internet, and rendered my PC useless. I had to wipe the OS and reinstall EVERYTHING to get rid of the kernel.
The only thing more embarrassing than getting slammed with adult adware when lookin' for porn is getting slammed with adult adware when looking for videogame cheatcodes, trust me.

Bottom line: Her lawyer should be disbarred for not being able to convey the nature of these programs. Fuck, he coulda pulled any pimply teen from the local Radio Shack to explain it to the jury.
Another thing that pisses me off are those so-called "tech experts" that are in the pockets of the police and prosecution. These guys figure out how to work the Calendar function in Outlook and next thing you know they're on the witness stand. It's fucking nuts.
Thank Christ for the appeals process.

jeanz 6:33 AM  

I'm pretty sure the sentence for a first offense of selling drugs to said children would have been significantly lighter. Something's really wrong here.

olddogdk 4:07 PM  

I wonder if there's an aspect of this that we are not aware of, because it does sound pretty f'in ridiculous.

Kim 2:12 AM  

I'm with you, Chrisb.

40 years for porn in class (PORN IN CLASS! PORN IN CLASS! Is that like PORN AT WORK! PORN AS WORK!?) is an INSANELY stiff (shut up!) penalty.

What fool would knowingly click on a porn link in front of an entire class of witnesses. Unlikely.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP