More Thoughts on the Superbowl
Sorry to those of you who might read this blog but have no interest in football. I'm not sure why I've bordered on obsessive the past few years but I think it's my equivalent of a soap opera or something. Two observations:
1. I watched the Saints vs. Bears game again on the DVR and it was very interesting. First, in retrospect, the offensive game plan was brilliant. They gave Grossman (o-line/Jones/Clark, etc.) the benefit of the doubt on a 4th and 1 play and converted the first down but not the touchdown. Second time around, they kicked a field goal. This accomplished a few things. First, the coaches showed their support and trust by going for it on 4th down instead of converting the easy points. Second, it showed everyone how fired up the Saints defense was at the beginning of the game (makes a "take what they give us" mentality easier to come by instead of getting Grossman into the "I've got to make something happen" mentality). Third, we ultimately put 3 points on the board which was just fine that early in the game.
Overall, there were three field goals, three rushing touchdowns and one passing touchdown. Oh, and a safety. If you would have asked me what I'd like to see from the offense before any game this season, this would have been my answer. I think it's also the answer for the superbowl. If we can get and maintain a lead into the fourth quarter, our defense will step on their necks. Manning or anyone.
Also, I still think Reggie Bush's move lacked class and earned him the $5000 hand slap, but I also noticed that the dance he did was the same dance Charles Tillman did in the second quarter. It was quick and the camera was pulling away as he started it, but I think the Bush dance (that sounds dirty) was retaliation. No excuse, but interesting.
2. Two weeks between league championships and superbowl? Ridiculous. It's only an opportunity for the NFL to sell more stuff and extend the season one more week. The only stories at the end of the season were Tank Johnson (held off until after the superbowl), Rex Grossman (less controversial/questionable after the Saints game) and Lovie Smith's contract (also clearly put on hold until after the superbowl in a definitive statement by the coach). So, what will they talk about for the whole extra week? Hopefully, the Colts. If the extra week must exist, I hope it's all about the Colts. Give the Bears one last chip on their shoulder to seal the deal. And if one of them could mock Brian Urlacher, that couldn't hurt.
I'm thinking Bears to win it (and not just because I have money on it.)


5 comments:
Can you explain what has happened to the great Marvin Harrison in playoffs past...and can you tell me how or why he may continue to run stupid routes one more time against the Bears?...or is this the game he looks like Marvin Harrison in the playoffs instead of William Henry Harrison?!?!
Prognosticate oh Prognostication of the Pigskin
uh, Prognosticator of the Pigskin
"I resent the allegation and I resent the alligator."
No, I cannot. It's probably the same explanation that the entire Bears defense would use regarding last year's playoffs, though. I'm hoping Marvin's answer is still pending.
My prediction: at least once during the game, Urlacher will emerge from a pile with a fistful of Filly teeth.
Barbaro's teeth?
Post a Comment