Sports Rankings
Here are the sports I like in order:
1. Football - I like it in general. Only sixteen games (plus playoffs) makes me savor each game. It also makes me appreciate the amount of planning and strategy involved. For example, after the 2005/2006 season ended, the Bears began a whole new workout/diet strategy which was individualized for each player. Granted, there are two significant injuries right now, but for the most part each player is in peak physical condition.
I have found that I prefer watching football on tv instead of in person. It's much easier for me to track the action and for the 70% of useless commentary, there's 30% of information on the tube that I wouldn't get at the game.
2. Baseball - strategy plays as much a role as talent and effort. There are so many aspects of the game that have to be in sync to be successful, and even that might not be enough. The Sox are a perfect example. They had a winning season this past year and would have easily made the NL playoffs. Their division and league was so competitive that what would have been a stellar year five years ago was not enough this time.
I have a hard time watching baseball on tv. This is a sport I like in person much better but for some reason I can also listen to it on the radio.
3. Soccer - it might see a bit of a resurgence in the U.S. with Beckham coming stateside but I doubt it. Soccer's popularity ebbs and flows over the years here. We have such a wealth of sports/entertainment available to us that it takes some heavy marketing to remember soccer even exists. There's not a lot of scoring, but that can be the case with baseball or any sport for that matter. (If football scoring wasn't measured in increments of 3 or 7, you'd see a lot of 2-0 or 3-1 games.)
I played soccer in high school and loved it. I saw the Fire at Soldier Field and loved it. I watch MLS playoffs on tv and I love it. Still, it's missing something. I can watch pickup soccer games and have as much enthusiasm for them.
4. Biathalon - that's where you cross-country ski and shoot guns, right? Don't know much about it but it seems like something I should be doing right now.
5. Hockey - so similar to soccer that I don't understand why hockey is so much more accepted. The biggest difference is the size of the ball, the use of implements and pads. Other than that, it's pretty much the same game.
6. Basketball - other than watching some outstanding athletes make incredible shots, basketball is boring to me. I was excited throughout the Bulls reign because I knew I was witnessing something transcendent of the game itself. Jordan was more than basketball - he was/is the stuff of legend and it was spectacular to see him in action.
Beyond that, it's just a slugfest for 60 minutes and whoever has amassed more points at the end wins. Boring. Sure, there are a couple of cool plays per game, but the rest are the same thing over and over again. I suppose there's strategy involved in that, too, but I just don't care.
What am I forgetting?


11 comments:
1. Rugby - I was really into it a couple years ago and still check it out when I can. The English B team came to SF and played the American team. We got destroyed but it's a fun game to see in person.
2. Curling - I was OBSESSED with it during the olympics. Girls, Ice, Brooms - it's like a coven.
1. Equestrian sports, with cross-country at the top, jumping second, then dressage.
2. Blog Wars!
Tennis. I think that tennis athletes are really amazing and it's a very interesting game.
1. A tennis player really is in it solo. No teammates to pick up for their slack or balance out their weaknesses.
2. There's no coach yelling at them or telling them what to do. Instead, a tennis player has to be in the game and analyzing it at the same time.
3. The shear physical fitness that a tennis player has to be in. They have to be fit and very agile.
4. You never now how a game is going to go. A person could win the first two sets and still lose the match.
5. And honestly, tennis has the best uniforms for women - ever.
re: uniforms for tennis - I concur! (Just ask my lovely wife.)
T.O. - did you say "curling... girls"? Never would have guessed.
I have to admit that I was full from eating a big blackbean burger and fries with a side of mint chocolate blizzard last night. When I reread my post this morning I realized that, duh, tennis players can play a not solo form of the game - doubles. Sorry for the blunder, but I never watch doubles. It's just not as interesting to me.
I've been blinded by a DQ Blizzard before. So has MC Chris.
What's the sport where they cross country ski and shoot?
Oh fuck. You mentioned it. And the way you did it was much funnier than me...and with the state of hockey and hoops right now, it probably should be ahead of both of them.
I like to break it down into which games I love to play and which ones I like to watch. To play, I gotta go basketball, tennis (not pleased with the way the pro game has evolved because of racket technology), baseball (if I meant softball I would've said softball), skiing and skating. To watch, I like baseball and anything else where there's true competitive pressure and the intensity of the match is at its apex. Could be any sport at any time. For me, half the fun is seeing whether the athlete succeeds or pisses down his/her leg in crunch time. This eliminates the entire Cubs season and most of the 'sports' with no defense (golf-figure skating-NASCAR-bowling), yet it elevates relatively trivial events like the Olympics. I'm thinking of trying paintball, where does that fit in all this?
Football is the only organized sport I played for any length of time; it's also the only pro sport I'll actually make time to watch.
I do like pretty much anything that involves swords. I'd like to join some kind of swordfighting club some day.
I'm sure I'll jump on a Cubs or Bulls bandwagon at some playoff point in the future but the Bears are the only team I've consistently followed--though the late Ditka/Wannstedt era almost had me shook as well as caused me to question the 'stache as never before.
You can't beat a day at a ballpark, though. Baseball has the atmosphere thing wrapped up.
swaff - skip the paintball and take up Unreal Tournament on your computer. It doesn't hurt and there's just as much skill involved (and way better maps.) Unless there's someone you want to hurt - then go paintball and aim low.
p dizzle - every time I hear the name Wannstedt, I get the chills.
Post a Comment