The Role of the Drummer
Drummers have a nearly impossible task. The part where they have four limbs operating independently is the easy part - anybody can learn that with some patience and a good tutor. The tough part is the intangible; the nuance that makes it possible for you to tell when a band on the radio is using a drum machine or a real drummer. It's that extra step above "proficient" that is not really teachable.
That nuance, if I can explain it, is being able to play both with energy and expression, but also with a swagger. A drummer who is anxious (nervous, unskilled - describes my style) will speed up through fills and create a subtle but perceivable gap between the rhythm and the rest of the song. A drummer who is over-confident/over-practiced might hit some stellar fills or rolls or complicated rhythms but might have a sterile feel which can drag a band into the sand.
The ideal drummer is skillful but also natural. If you don't notice the drums, that's probably the case. If you feel like something is a little "off" with a band but you can't put your finger on it, I'd bet it was the drummer. The reason you hear about John Bonham a lot is not because he was a super technical player. I'm pretty sure I could hit the notes of his more complicated drum solos (and I'm a hack). The reason he's legendary is because he was clearly proficient, he came up with interesting grooves, and his energy drove each song. Talk about swagger! For proof, check out the song Poor Tom on the overlooked Coda EP.
For further proof of a drummer making a band, listen to Interpol's Turn On The Bright Lights and try to discern the drum parts, then the guitar and bass parts. The drummer turns out an impeccable performance and in the meticulousness and in the style, it totally sounds like C. Swaff (Luminous, Klugs) to me. He didn't start out with the swagger - I remember - but by the time Klugs 2.0 hit the scene, he had it in spades.
Next, my take on guitar and bass...


7 comments:
check out the Zep DVD that came out a couple years ago. Bonham (with JP Jones) made that band on stage. Solid as fuck, while Page can barely hold his guitar (Knebworth footage).
That wasn't even his guitar!
That was the magic of Bonham. He was like the Steve McQueen of drums.
Turn On The Bright Lights is a damn fine album. I put "Obstacle 1" on when I'm on the crunch machine and try to keep up with the beat.
I used to jog to the Cure. 10:15 Saturday Night was the pace of my cadence - it's hard to believe these days...
I've heard 'critics' call it playing with swing. As far as rushing thru fills, I was the world's worst offender for a decade until I learned to play to a click track. You're right, it's damn hard to play with swagger and attitude while being chained to a mechanical beat, but the results are always worth it if you can pull it off. It's such a fine line to anchor the song with a solid backbeat but to add that little zip. Yeah, drummers are the mouthbreathers of the band, but there is some creativity involved.
Good swing drummers: Bonzo, Moon, Jesus Lizard dude, New Pornographers guy
Bad swing drummer: Jimmy Chamberlain (he uses jazz sticks--it's like cheating), first Pearl Jam drummer
Good pocket drummer: Pixies guy, Smiths guy, Matt Cameron
Bad pocket drummer: guy from Spoon, Larry Mullin,Jr.
As a bass player, I am cursed with the belief that I should be able to also play the drums. As you know, I cannot. It is definitley much harder than it looks. Although, with the help of ed, I am learning to understand some of what the drummerese, like "boom, boom, snickety, snick-snick, boom CRASH, boom - boom".
Regarding Bonham being the Steve McQueen of drums, I think that he did once drive a motorcycle over a fence while playing the drums, and fleeing from Nazis.
Post a Comment