New Contest!
No idea what the prize will be yet (I'm still digging the last one out of the "archives" in the basement) but I have a new song. This one is a bit more of a challenge. This is the A-side of a 7-inch single recorded in 1993 by a super-group of DeKalb luminaries.
1. Name the band (alternate spellings accepted)
2. Name 3 of the 4 musicians
and for extra credit:
Name the former Record Rev employee that recorded the band (hint - it's not me.)


28 comments:
i can only take a guess at the extra credit:
Scott Schenke
Brad Wood is the former R-Rev employee.
I was going to say "Tar"...but don't know why that would have alternate spellings?
it's not "Gasoline" is it?
Brad Wood is correct for extra credit but the rest is not. Tar is a great guess because I believe one of the players in this group was in Tar at one point...
Gasoline was Sunfrog + a hippy (Ed) and they went a slightly different musical direction. This group might have been even more obscure. I'm not sure they ever played out beyond a party here and there. One of the members joined the military before the band got off the ground.
Not "E"?
Damn - I forgot about "E". Nope, not "E" but that's a damn good guess. All this reminiscing is bringing back a lot of memories.
I'm going to give it until tomorrow morning and then I'll spill it. This one might be too obscure. Worst case scenario - everyone gets a song or two they wouldn't have found anywhere else, probably.
A band called "Gasoline" should not feature a hippy. That hippy should be in a band called "Biodeisel" or "Windpower" or "Pedalpumper" or somesuch.
Was it Dan Grzeca? (He's the only RR employee I ever knew personally)
Snailboy?
It could be Blatent(sic) Dissent - The band that would become Tar (with Tim Mescher).
If I'm right on either count:
Snailboy: Al Johnson, Mark Shippy, Luke Framtom, and Todd Lamparelli
Blatent Dissent: John Mohr, Mark Zablocki,Mike Greenlees and Tim Mescher
I don't know what that was, but it was pretty good.
1993 was the year before I came back to DeKalb. I ran the BIC (Behavior Improvement Center, in school suspension at my old high school). Let's just say I had more control of that motherfucker when I was actually sentenced to it than when I "ran" it. I can't wait to find out who it is? Is it Snailboy? Can I get a copy of the single even if I don't win?
Oh, I already have a copy on my computer. I am stupid.
ah, Blatent Dissent. Tom Clark used to be in that band when i was in High School. anyone have any of their old stuff? i just remember a single with Tom hanging off a roof as the cover.
'Tis not Snailboy nor Blatent Dissent but everyone had the right idea.
This particular super-group was called Double Boar. The members were Tim Mescher on bass, Bob Schaeffer also on bass (and vocals), Todd Rittman on guitar (other vocals?) and Mike Waterman on drums. Todd wrote the songs, they practiced three times, recorded this single (and some other songs) at Idful (w/Brad Wood) in one day, then Waterman shipped off to become a marine officer and that was that.
So, no winner. That said, you guys remember an awful lot. I'll put up Side B tonight or tomorrow morning as a consolation. For the record, the songs are actually called "Side A" and "Side B".
Ed, who the hell put you in charge of discipline?
Blatant Dissent discussion thread:
http://www.punkvinyl.com/2005/01/02/selections-from-the-punk-vault-blatant-dissent/
Motherfucker!
I f-in' have the Double Boar 7". Tim gave me a copy when I opened up the record store.
P-Dawg wins the extra credit, Tom wins the old-school credit, and Josh gets the attention to detail credit on this one. Oh, Gundy gets credit just for knowing how to spell Grzeca and Ed already got to be in charge of discipline, so that's plenty for him.
Record Rev had a Blatent Dissent LP in the basement; I think it was used as a display once. I hadn't yet uncovered the enigma that is known as "Mescher" at that point or I'd have swiped it.
Wow--I'd like to hear that.
Did Papa ever put out an album?
Or Boyd?
I think Papa (if there really is such a person) was actually musically inclined but I never heard of an actual recording. You know who the ultimate authority would be on that front.
Boyd could tell you how a record was produced - that's for sure.
Ed,
I just went through my vinyl collection, and do have both Snailboy 7"s .
The public school system put me in charge of discipline - so now we know how fucked up that is.
And yes Josh - somehow, someway if you can transfer it to CD (or put it on your blog) I'd love a copy of the Snailboy thing. I'll send you a copy of the fB's I WANT MY MONEY BACK an Evening with the floating Basement. It's live. It documents the now irrelevent 1991-1992 "Go Home and Tell Your Mother You're a Failure" Tour.
uh, it was like two or three shows. But it took us over a year to find two or three audiences.
My receiver crapped out on me, so I'm waiting for the new one to arrive (hopefully by this weekend).
Once I get everything set up, I'll burn 'em - Hell, I may even throw on the Double Boar 7" for good measure.
Speaking of which, I still need to burn the Upper Crust CDs for the Old Dog.
Once I get the Spring Comp done, I'll just mail all of the love out en masse.
That reminds me - I've got to bring my turntable over to ChrisB's on Thurs. Are we practizing on Thurs?
No. Thursday is cancelled. Don't ask why.
What? No more Thursday?
Post a Comment