Saturday, April 15, 2006

Why We Live Where We Do

After an exceptionally taxing (no pun intended) week at work, I looked forward to taking our dog to the forest preserve where a leash is optional. Today was a perfect day for it, too, with trees and bushes just budding and lush, green grass pushing up through the brown stuff from last year. This is why I deal with the snow and cold from the winter and the excruciating humidity in the summer. I know that a glowing review of flowers blooming and the theme of rebirth is tedious, but 73 degrees and plenty of oxygen in the air just feels good.

Adding to it was the random selection of tracks that popped up on my MP3 player. They formed a perfect soundtrack - I'm planning to burn a compilation of them.

It was even a great morning for Nina since there was a lot of rustling in the tall grass and it wasn't dense enough yet that she couldn't navigate it. We found out earlier this year that she's been suffering from extremely low thyroid activity and got her on some medication to get her back to normal. Since she's been on the meds, she's acting a lot like she did as a puppy.

Today, in the open field, a rabbit couldn't hold still any longer and made a break for it. Nina opened up the throttle and went for it. I know this sounds crazy, but I was excited for her because she hasn't run wide open like that for a while - and she was fully engaged. She gets really low to the ground and flies. When the rabbit zigs, she gets angry and growls as she makes a less dramatic cut and arcs her way back to the rabbit's line, her legs a furious blur.

She's caught two baby rabbits in our backyard already this year. Both times, there was a pitiful, high-pitched cry, then silence and we saw Nina trotting around proudly with her catch in her mouth. Both times we made her drop it and the baby rabbits disappeared (rabbits playing possum, go figure) which just makes her want to catch them again.

She didn't get one today at the park, but she got pretty close a few times. As a herding dog, the thrill is not in the kill - it's all about the chase. She doesn't thrash a catch around or rip at it - she displays it proudly. I think the chase was enough today because she barely drank any water before falling soundly asleep under a table. Good times.

Addendum - this from the newspaper today (another reason we live where we do):

For dope dealers, the bodies lying in the street were good advertising.

"People getting knocked out lets people know the dope must be good," said neighbor Booker T. Winston, an ex-heroin addict.

"And they know where they can find it, that fire. Stuff that has you fading out, feeling like a zombie."

3 comments:

olddogdk 9:45 PM  

Go Nina! That's one hell of a pooch you got ther Chris. Dogs is good.

Sultan of Swaff 7:49 AM  

It's been a year since Junior passed. I've just begun to get the itch pretty bad for another pooch, but we want to wait a while. You're not helping.

edP 11:02 AM  

Just an additional comment on where you live. I really like Sguar Grove and you guys scored a fantastic home.

Rock on

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP