Down With the Bass
I think Mike Watt covers this concept pretty well in a full-length CD release with other bass masters like Flea, Cris Kirkwood and Les Claypool called Big Bottom Pow Wow. From my perspective, the bassist has to balance the entire act. Clearly not the lead or most present voice in the mix and also not the actual foundation of the rhythm - the bass part is the glue, conduit, ligament and the core of the song.
Just as a good drummer can make a band, a good bass player can make a drummer better. Not just in a live performance, but in practice, during a recording session, or anytime they're playing. A good bass player practically translates for a drummer and a guitarist. Rhythm and melody are intimately linked but a drummer is more concerned with the former, guitarist with the latter. The bass player has to understand both elements fluently for the song and the band to work.
These seem to me to be key concepts that not all bass players understand. I think a lot of bass players were at one point guitar players that either wanted an easier time getting into a band or got shoehorned into playing the 4-string out of necessity. I'm not sure if starting with bass or starting with guitar and converting to bass makes a difference. I am sure that understanding the position of the bass in any given band is critical.
I know that usually there's a shortage of bass players in a given scene and, like the missing or exploding drummers from Spinal Tap, they shift in and out of bands fairly regularly. DeKalb always seemed to have a wealth of bass players that not only could hold on, but actually understood the instrument. On further thought, every one that I can think of in this category is a total character, too. Some are full-on nut jobs. Maybe that's the key...


3 comments:
The bass can be a very tempermental guitar. Your "touch" is everything. It has points where on some frets the notes are super loud, whereas the one right next to it is downright quiet. A good bass player knows this and adjusts attack accordingly. This makes it challenging to mix.
Then you also get a clown like me, playing bass out of necessity as if it were a Big Guitar.
Drinky Joe plays the Bass in The Aftermath
http://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=60943&
Good post, Chris B! You nailed it.
Juggling the bass and guitar was wierd for me for many years, until I finally figured out that I am a bass player - not a guitar player. Recording Lincoln County proved that, so did all of the actual guitar players that I know. I have a lot of respect for them (Although, I'll still sometimes hassle D about his guitar sounds. He fuckin' hates that! I love telling professionals how to do their thing).
I really love playing the bass. I love to play around in that little area where the rhythm and melody meet. Maybe a bad analogy, but when you are hitting everything right, it's like that feeling you get when you hit a golf ball perfectly. Thank God I play bass better than I golf.
Playing with you guys has given me great happiness. Sappy, but true.
I have to admit, though, that when I first saw the title of your post, I was ready to come out swinging! Nicely done.
Post a Comment