Contest - WITH PRIZES!!
That's right. This is a test of your DeKalb music scene knowledge. I'm not sure if this is super easy or super hard, so I'm making it a race as well. The first person who can identify the composer of this song gets a package to include one of each cassette, 7" single or CD recording from the bands I've been in over the years (assuming I can find them in my basement).
I'll say no more. Let the commenting begin!!


21 comments:
Wow.
You may need to provide a clue, because I hain't got one!
It sounds like it may have been recorded in the Austin Music store's basement studio? but that's a shot in the dark
You're on the right track, but this track predates Austin Music by at least a decade.
Then it's not Otis Ball is it???
Is it Otis Ball?
Great guess, but no. I heard a rumor that this song actually hit some charts (local, probably) in the late 70's or early 80's. Otis Ball would have still been in Jr. High.
Side note - one time, I saw Otis Ball and the Chains at the Eagles Club and he did some sort of stage dive and missed everyone and broke his arm on the ground. He was rushed off to the hospital and CAME BACK later that night to see the rest of the bands. (Naked Raygun, maybe? I can't remember.)
i haven't listened to this yet, but i'm guessing "Electric Batista"..i think that's their name.. i know "electric" is in the title.
uh, I heard Otis Ball was really talented in Jr. High.
You're not buying that are you.
I want tape and 7" from you anyway. The prices here at the fledgling times are truly exciting.
I meant prizes - dammit!
Whoa! Beer Butt flexing the knowledge!! Electric Batista was indeed a seminal hipster band from the DeKalb 70's and probably did grace the stage at Otto's when it was still the Uprising -- but that's not who recorded this song.
Last hint - the person who wrote and performed the song was probably at least partially responsible for me joining the Magnificent Ambersons...
clyde
Bill Garver?
Tom Wins!!
That little ditty was side A of a 45 entitled "His Name Was Kong" by Clyde Brown from 1976. The B side is "His Name Was Kong (Disco)".
We'll have to work out logistics for your loot.
loot me up!
No fucking way! That was the first thing that came to my mind but I couldn't do the math on Clyde. Alternate thought, of course: Bert
That's a freaking treasure (with a 'disco' b-side? Gold!!)
didn't Bert hang himself a few months after he moved to Ohio?
Yes, Bert did hang himself. As much of a creep as he was, I felt bad for him. He saved my cymbals one time (I forgot them at Otto's and they were about to get packed into some other band's gear) so I appreciated that. I also realized that taking an adversarial position with him would never help the sound when we played, so I kind of buddied up with him.
Funny side story (maybe only funny to me) is that I was at Otto's just drinking one night and Bert was setting up mics on a drum kit that had 12 or 13 pieces. He came up to me and said "I'm not sure what to do - I'm out of microphones." I told him to double up on the toms and only really connect the kick, snare, and floor tom mics. Sure enough, the guy did one run all the way from left to right (a la Neil Peart) one time in one song. The rest of the show was kick and snare only. Bert got a kick out of that.
Bert was actually quite nice to us, too. Right up until he turned all the mics off on us right in the middle of the last song of our set. It was Halloween, one of those 8 bands/two stages shows--and I think it was our last show as the Kugel-Me-Nots. I watched as Flan went & ripped him a new one! ha
More contests!!
In fact, I have more material for yet another contest! I'll post it tomorrow.
ah, Bert stories...i remember when the 'mamba kings', or whatever their name was, were playing and wanted to do one more song..Bert turned the mics off and "we gotta get outta this place" came blasting from the PA.
the lead singer ran over to jon complaining, daniels smashed a glass on the bar and they never played there again. awesome.
Clyde.
I felt so cool when he let me snag a ride on the back of his scooter for a block.
Is he still around?
I don't know that the Mamba Kings played anywhere ever again.
p.s. - I'll have to push the new contest until Monday or whenever I can get a replacement turntable. Can you believe that I've had the same one for roughly 15 years and it picked this week to crap out on me?
Post a Comment