Wednesday, March 15, 2006

This Monkey

We Netflixed a Pixies video and I just watched the whole thing last night. I had forgotten how much of an influence that band and their few records were to me. There was a featurette with David Bowie and a number of other British musical royalty paying homage. They all seemed to have the same opinion of the Pixies that I did. Bowie said that the Pixies were responsible for the creation of a lot of other bands. Funny - the first song I played on drums with my first band was "Where's My Mind". It was easy enough for a novice but nothing like any other music at the time.

Also, the members of the band talked about how they had lost ground on Bossanova and realized they were pretty much over by Trompe le Monde. I have had numerous discussions/arguments with folks about that. I can't change people's opinions on things (don't want to) but I felt vindicated knowing that the band, the producer, and Bono all agreed with my assessment.

I saw them live at the ballroom in the NIU student center during the tour that they capture in the film. I know a number of other people that went to the same show thought it was lifeless, but I'm telling you - that was the Pixies. Unassuming and ahead of the "grunge" trend that followed shortly thereafter. They didn't move around much or get all dressed up for the show - they practiced their instruments and carefully crafted every song instead. I'll take that any day.

Hearing some of the songs again - especially seeing the band playing the songs on stage again - really brought back some good feelings. Not only is it great music, but it arrived at a great time in my life. Those were the "anything is possible" days and the Pixies drove the point home.

0 comments:

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP