Mr. Advice
Be warned - if you show signs of curiosity or concern about a topic I'm either knowledgeable or passionate about, you will get a lecture. If I read your blog or an e-mail or something, you will get the full breadth of my knowledge on a subject. I can't help it - it's part of my personality type according to Jung and Myers-Briggs. I'm a people-pleaser whether you like it or not.
That said, I sit next to a 23-year-old girl who just graduated from college and already spent a year at another company as a consultant. She's sharp, astute and seems to have knowledge beyond her years. It makes me sad that she's already entrenched in this corporate bureaucracy/bullshit at such a young age. I suppose that if she enjoys it, she'll be set to retire closer to 40 than 65 years old. On the other hand, she's still a kid! She should be partying and doing stupid stuff!
Oh - she's getting married in a few months, too. Nobody's a bigger fan of marriage than me (I married up) but 23 just seems too young to make that kind of commitment. My folks did it and they have withstood the test of time but that is definitely not the norm. Especially these days.
I got advice from an English professor one year that I should quit my part time job and enjoy a summer of debauchery. I thought he was concerned for my mental state at the time but it's clear that he was really warning me to have fun before the bullshit kicked into high gear. I took his advice and had a great time and now it's fun to recall those days with my blogging pals.
I have a strong urge to impart this wisdom on my neighbor (the young'n) but it's not my place. It's enough to shield her from the full force of my cynicism. As for the rest of you - consider yourself warned.


8 comments:
I'm a huge fan of giving out unsolicited advice. That being said, I'm also a loud, crass, over-opinionated jackass.
If you want to lay out the truth to your co-worker, I'd recommend doing so in a bar setting, because (by my logic) no one can hold anything you say against you if it was said after your third shot of bourbon.
Good advice. ;)
Chris, there is a certain drummer I am attracted to. How should I approach him?
Oh - thanks for the rock - those Slint albums kick ass. Is one guy drinking a glass of milk or something? Some weird ass shit - followed by some kick ass shit. Now that's some good shit.
Speaking of...
Did anyone out in IL catch the Slint reunion last year?
"There is a certain drummer I am attracted to. How should I approach him? "
Gee, Ed, I had this same problem once. In my case, I just let My Drummer take to me to Raceway Park. All those fumes and yelling got his motor revving, IF you know what I mean.
You might try this with your drummer.
Ed, you're thinking of "Ask the Old Dog".
Kaka - don't encourage him.
Liar - that was one of the saddest days in my life last year when I found some live recordings of Slint on the internet and the were from THE WEEK BEFORE IN CHICAGO!!!! I almost shit myself. Plus, they made it clear that that would be the LAST and ONLY reunion. Fuck. At least I have some recordings of it.
Post a Comment