Amphetamine Reptile
Through the miracle of blogs, I was introduced to 400 Blows and downloaded the tracks they offer on their site - only to fall in love. The raw and massive sound reminded me of the AmRep sound/ethic from back in that label's glory days. ('91-ish - per yet another blog.) If you remember those bands from that era, check out 400 Blows. (Also note - there are numerous Cows posters in the photos on their site.) You can thank me, John, Beer Butt and DC Liar later.


12 comments:
i slept on the floor under those cows posters when we played with them down there. hopefully the new guitarist can fill christian's shoes.
Thank you! What a great site. I love 'The Ugly are so Beautiful". I thought during the intro that the vocal would be all James Hatfield, but it was different and GOOD!!!! <----Gary made me do it.
*exalt*
Di
It's too bad you have a jb again - I never took fulla advantage of coming over there and burning everyCD you own. Maybe in the next life...
Ed - it's never too late. Bring some disks on Thursday.
I saw the Cows at O'Kayz Corral in Madison and it was one of the best shows ever. They were all nice guys but I always got a little nervous when they took the stage. Not sure why.
400 Blows might have a tough time re-creating the pure f'n power of the guitar on "The Root of our Nature" with a new guy.
I WAS RIGHT! I linked you w/ Amp Rep on my post today before I read this!
I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD.
cool - I'm doing it - I lost the copy of the Talk Talk tape you made me all those years ago...I need it on CD...and did they get there name from the Soft Machine (or was it the Music Machine) song?????
I'm not familiar with "Soft Machine" or "Music Machine". The band Talk Talk had an album called Talk Talk with a hit single entitled, you guessed it, Talk Talk. It was fairly popular in the 80's - is that the one?
no - it was a 60's band that did a different song Talk Talk. I remember COusin Mike getting a special white vinyl pressing. How weird is that?
You're the guy who turned me on to Talk Talk-post their new wave phase when they became a cool as hell, spiritual, experimental band. Some of the best recordings in terms of sonics ever...do you have any newer Mark Hollis solo stuff?
I don't. I've heard some of it and he gets a little whiny - it was a pitfall of older Talk Talk stuff, too. His voice blended in more on "Laughing Stock" and the instrumentation took over. Kind of reminds me of "Rid of Me" by PJ Harvey. The production by Albini and the musicianship are fantastic - she's there but enhanced by it. Since then, none of her stuff has sounded as strong to me.
Hmm. Rid of Me is sort of "signature" PJ Harvey and definitely my next fave but To Bring You My Love is my favorite of her records. It seems more fully realized but it still rocks hard. I don't really care for what's come after because it doesn't rock too hard.
Like many I am ambivalent about Albini. I think there are certain artists he understands and serves well (Jesus Lizard) and certain artists that would have been much better served by someone else (Pixies). He's a wonderful engineer but his "aesthetic" (or lack of) can be dull and even stifling.
I agree - bands and engineer have to be on the same page. Albini's ethic doesn't change from job to job, it just doesn't suit some bands. Butch Vig did a remarkable job with Nirvana (styles meshed) but ruined L7's sound.
Post a Comment