The Nova Again

I loved this car. It drove my gearhead dad crazy because it was a four-door (strict no-no in greaser circles) even though it was in pretty good shape. The headliner and seat material was threadbare but there was very little rust on the body. The old radio was replaced with a cheapo AM/FM/Cassette head that was just laying on an old t-shirt which was jammed into the hole. Good times.
I got it after I got kicked out of NIU and lived with my folks again. I went to Harper College in that time and did a lot of studying, eating and napping in the Nova. It was quieter than the cafeteria, less distracting than the library and softer than any of the benches in the common areas.
Most importantly, I could jam all of my drums into the back seat and trunk with room to spare. I had always fantasized that I could build a smallish trailer for band equipment and we could get away with that and the Nova on road trips. I also had big plans to re-finish the car or at least the interior. Obviously, none of that happened.
The Nova bit the dust after a number of unfortunate events like a frozen rag in the gas tank, dented rear quarter panel from a hit and run, dead starter and a lame fuel pump which left it stranded on the side of Rte. 38 just outside of St. Charles. I was set to have it towed the next day after work but I got a phone call from a Kane County Sheriff's officer just before quittin' time. They told me that some drunk dude slammed into my car at roughly 60 MPH and was transported to the hospital.
When I got to the car, the trunk was, indeed, smashed. Even still, the doors to the back seat opened and closed easily. My friend Mark replaced the fuel pump with the windshield washer fluid pump and was able to drive the car all the way back to Kirkland like that. I was amazed. I got very little insurance money since it wasn't a restored antique, so I donated the car to Mark.
Interesting side note: years later, my wife and I moved to Geneva in a townhouse next door to a Kane County Sheriff's officer and his family. He remembered the Nova.


8 comments:
This was a HOT CAR.
With you in it, it was a hot, smokin', Hipster King mobile of coolness.
I imagine you, driving down Licoln Highway, waving to your fans.
Love,
KJ, KL, KM
(I never really expected to go by "Kaka" but hey, beats ButteredAss, I guess)
Ihave a pic of you and I, looking quite drunk, at a 5th St party--do I have permission to post it? If so, I'll also post a more flattering pic to compensate--I lots of Chrisb pics--and Amberson pics galore.
Nothing incriminating going on in the photo, right? If it's just me looking dumb - post away.
In fact, I have a great pic of you and yer old man, too. We could just trade offline if you want.
p.s. - I have some great pics of Devin, Randy and a mannequin head with Devin's goatee on it from 5th street. Perhaps the same party...
We could trade offline--BLOGGIE would be more fun! I'm shameless when it come to blog fodder and promotion for the blogs stuff.
Chrisb on my blog, that would be GOOD TIMES. You're not doing anything incrim, except maybe keeping me from smoking--in a good clean way, don't worry.
I have the mannequin head pics--could have been the same party. I think Devin put his head in the freezer later that night. Randy probably just cooked meat in my pans in a drunken, throwing caution to the wind sort of way.
Kaka, you can post as many bad pics of Chris B as you want! His fans will still love him.
OD: I got some of you too :)
Bring 'em on, then.
Post a Comment