Hang on - I'm Lowering a Rope
I’ve noticed a trend that I find a little disturbing. Very frequently in the recent past, I’ve gone to the restroom either at an office or a restaurant (I can think of three distinct times in the past week) and heard loud talking. The first time, I thought someone was talking to me but there was no one around. Turns out it was someone in the stall – presumably taking care of some “business” (clever double entendre) with a caller on the line.
I’m wondering if this is some kind of new power play thing executives do or if there truly is no safe haven ANYWHERE anymore. I’m praying that all of the callers I’ve encountered were “hands free” as well.
We cancelled our mobile phones earlier in the year to save some cash since it’s close to $100 a month. Being away from them for a few weeks exposed some key issues. We have to pay more on our land line bill to call relatives around the country (and even in different parts of the state.) Without unlimited weekends, we have to keep conversations short. How did we survive for 30 years before mobile phones? We did a little planning before we left the house.
No question – most of the “progress” in consumer electronics revolves around convenience. If we can warm up a meal in three minutes instead of thirty, that’s preferable. If we can make a phone call when we’re close to a restaurant instead of before we leave the house, all the better.
Please, people – turn off the phone when you’re dropping a deuce.


2 comments:
I've argued for dropping the land line, but my business partner isn't convinced it's the right thing to do. She's got a good point: The cell service can be spotty, especially in bad weather or just in it's ability to ring each and every time someone calls. Plus, we have a fax on the land line.
I'm guilty of taking a call or two while otherwise indisposed.
Speaking of the potty, thanks, Chris, for letting me take your new Cammode-SS for it's first test drive. It performed wonderfully.
Old Dog, I hope you're not pooping when you talk to me on the phone.
Post a Comment