Sunday, March 19, 2006

Where's It All From?

I get asked about where I find new music all the time. I used to trade mix tapes with friends quite a bit back in the day along with spending a significant portion of my paycheck on new LPs or CDs every few weeks. When Napster hit the scene, I used it to find stuff I couldn't find anywhere else. I got live performances, re-mixes that were never officially approved by anyone, studio out-takes, rare Peel sessions - you name it.

I'd also use Napster to sample a song or two before plunking down cash for a full CD by band I didn't yet know or trust. I've made a lot of purchases based on inaccurate reviews or bad advice (or even one good video on MTV.) These days, I wouldn't buy a car or a digital camera without doing a bunch of research on the internet, and music is no different. There are a few file-sharing options still available but you have to be a little savvy to use them without mucking up your system with viruses and ad-ware.

Most recently, I've been digging into a number of blogs that preview and either host or link to music. You can usually only get one or two songs from a given artist but I could spend full days wading through all of it. There are tons of these blogs/sites.

Big up to Neal at Blank Crisis for having a nearly identical record collection to me but having all of it still available to him. (He's unwittingly helping me to re-build much of what I lost or gave away during my "hazy" years in DeKalb.)

Finally, I still get mix CDs and suggestions from friends. Most recently, I have to thank trent-o, beer butt, john e., dc liar, lori and mostly b-rad for their influences. Oh, and a belated thanks to wouldpkr for the tip on the Dukes of Hazard songs. Those were great.

5 comments:

Lady Di )O( 4:06 AM  

"I got live performances, re-mixes that were never officially approved by anyone, studio out-takes, rare Peel sessions - you name it."

I would love to pour through your collection.

And as for "hazy" DeKalb days - I can't relate ;-)

Kim 5:52 AM  

I'm still sick--lowgrade fever on and off all weekend--climbing now, I betcha, cuz I'm cold.

Can you explain, Chrisb?

I talked about YOU today on my blog, buddy.

Chris B. 8:10 AM  

My collection is a mess consisting of two boxes of cassettes, three huge bins of LPs, three or four bins of CDs (and a number of loose ones floating around) and two computers with tons of files from all different sources and with sketchy names/tags. If I had any organizational skills, it'd be a formidable collection.

DC Liar 12:19 PM  

Keep an eye out for the Spring '06 Mix - I should have it done in the next couple of weeks.

olddogdk 8:14 PM  

I'm the worst music fan ever. I have little, and am the worst at finding out what is new and cool. Therefore, I am old and un-cool.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP