Wednesday, August 27, 2008

You're the Horse, There's The Water.

Listen, I tried to give you some warning about Genghis Tron, and mostly everyone blew it. The Squirrel did sound for the show and, along with the band, gave Otto's sound system a bit of a workout. It was pretty f'n sweet for a Sunday night.

Here's your chance to redeem yourself. Sure, you'll be all partied out after a long weekend, and Tuesday will likely be a rough day back at work, but Tuesday night brings Pittsburgh's finest instrumental math-rock band to our own little House Cafe. If you've never heard Don Caballero in the past ten years, it's okay - they're not for everyone. However, they have a new record out that, while being huge and powerful, should be more accessible to more people. It's beautifully recorded waves of layered chords, changing with the tide. Oh, and the drummer whips a rhino's ass.

Observe:

2 comments:

E,  4:04 PM  

Who is booking these shows? MP Shows said that they couldn't handle Otto's but it seems like Otto's is getting some decent bookings without them.

Chris B.,  6:47 AM  

MP shows bailed and there was lots of inner turmoil within Otto's (probably a 50/50 proposition as to why MP left) which caused many locals to boycott or just stay away. (Besides, how many times can you see The Pimps or Mr. Blotto?)

The new guy is John Ugolini who has been booking at the House for a while. He's brought some excellent bands to the smaller stage (King Kong, Mono, MC CHRIS) and now will be taking over the booking duties at Otto's. Not sure if he was implicit in bringing GT, but I'm imagining big things to come. John is a music fan - that's what's been missing for a while.

Also, I've seen two or three new Dekalb bands that I liked which is up from zero this time last year.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP