Thursday, August 07, 2008

HD for the Masses

Seems like forever ago that Kodak was the only name in cameras. They had a corner on the film market, for sure. Their digital cameras have been a little less than awesome with quality and ease of use seemingly low on their priority list. You could get them on the cheap, but you'd have to learn some goofy controls and probably use the warranty.

Well, the last year or two have been much more impressive for Kodak. While maintaining a very attractive price point on their cameras, the quality seems to have gotten much better. With the advent of their new HD video camera, the Kodak Zi6 Pocket Video Camera, I can see them jumping to the front of the pack again.

It shoots 720p HD video at 60 frames per second which will look great on a regular television and spectacular on a newer HD tv. It has one button to start and stop recording. It uses the ubiquitous and inexpensive SD media and AA batteries. It has television RCA cables and a USB connector built in and self-contained. Best of all, it will go on sale for $179 - very reasonable.

What's the downside? I don't think it has much or any zoom and no flash/lighting for dark shots. For the money, I'd deal with that.

On the subject, when you've recorded a bunch of stuff, you can either upload to YouTube for public consumption, or my new favorite, Vimeo. I like their style and I don't think they have an evil corporate overlord (yet). Vimeo supports HD content, too.

2 comments:

wouldpkr 4:14 PM  

dont believe the hype there are a dozen other better pocket hd cams out ther ealready...
once again Kodak has missed the boat.
They realy shouldve jsut went all analouge and kept the film industry going, because its not dead yet, but its dying fast, and thats sad.

Chris B. 8:07 PM  

Like which? My folks are in the market.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP