A Car After My Own... Name
A few years back, I saw a concept vehicle I could get behind. I was essentially a dune buggy refined enough to drive on the road. Kind of a sedan-sized version of the gawky Toyota FJ Cruiser, but before that was (re)released. It had all kinds of cool features and a Subaru power plant. Best part? It was to be called the Chevrolet Borrego. My initials, and very nearly a match for my last name! Perfect!!
Unfortunately, it's never seen the light of day, and now this happened. It's over-sized, underpowered, and a Kia. Even though it bears my name and would tow a camper, I'm afraid it's out of the running already. Stupid Chevy!
I'd buy another Saturn based on the customer service I've gotten from Saturn of North Aurora, but they don't have a model I want. The Vue looks like a generic CR-V now, the Outlook is too big (and not very good on gas for a daily driver), and the Astra is too small to fit all my stuff.
This decision is a year (or more) off, but I want to go into it armed. Here are my choices thus far:
1. Chevy Trailblazer SS: Expensive, low mileage (worse than Tahoe), no 4x4 option. However, it's a Corvette motor and street-tuned suspension in a mid-sized SUV. Sounds bad as hell and goes pretty fast. I've missed the old Blazer for these very reasons.
2. Chevy HHR SS: Reasonably priced, smaller, and spritely with a 260 hp, turbocharged 4-cylinder. That means fast and good on gas depending on how I drive. Probably would not be good for towing a camper.
3. Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab: With the features I'd want, we're talking $30K again, and now you don't have a back seat, but you do have plenty of cargo space. I'd be able to tow a camper, but I'd also be able to help friends move. I did enough of that in the past. My wifey would love this vehicle, but it also gets marginal gas mileage and it's not super practical as a daily driver.
4. Toyota FJ Cruiser: Very impractical for a daily driver but looks totally fun. It's a genuine off-road vehicle with a nod to the past (which I like a lot - like the HHR) and lots of modern features. Not super expensive, could probably tow a camper, terrible on gas.
I think Subaru is out. I don't like the newest Impreza shape. Seems too small for all my stuff. Forester is cool, but when you add all the features I'd like, we're into Trailblazer SS price - and that's a Corvette motor.
Acura makes the RDX which used to be the object of my desires, but the Trailblazer SS is less expensive, and probably faster. (Definitely sounds cooler.) Also, the HHR SS has 20 more horsepower for $10,000 less. Essentially, this is the same reasoning that led me to the Vue. I couldn't afford the brand new BMW X5 and the Vue had similar looks and lots of great design features for a LOT less money. I have been very happy with the Vue.
Any other suggestions I'm missing here?


2 comments:
i'm actually close to getting a subaru. i didn't like the new impreza shape at first either but i've seen them on the road and it's growing on me...plus, it's smaller for the city, but good for tahoe snow. i'm tired of having trucks but you really can't go wrong with the tacomas.
my friend is about to get a convertible mini-cooper! go for it!
you said Spritely...
Looked at any used forresters or outbacks?
Post a Comment