Thursday, August 07, 2008

Notes From Preseason Game 1

The Croyle pass to the five yard line was not a catch. Would have been reviewed and called back in a real game. Receiver lost control of the ball on a nice McGowan hit on the way to the turf.

Crazy how used to a long runback I am. I already miss Hester in that role.

Forte's first play as a Bear moves the chains on a sweet side-step move. He moved the pile a few plays later.

I could not understand why we never heard anything about Rashied Davis getting a new contract in the off season. Also, everyone is so focused on Booker and Hester - they forget that Davis is the most reliable 3rd down receiver since... Marty Booker.

I'm over Mark Bradley. If someone has to go - dump him. His catch was a yard short of the first down and he had time to turn and get it. Mike Hass will try harder.

Mike Brown is smart, a gifted athlete, AND a high-motor guy. That's why he's so good, and it's why it doesn't matter if he gets injured in three games. In the meantime, any other safety gets a lesson in how to prepare, and how to punish your opponent. (He did almost miss that tackle, though.) :)

Orton and Grossman are the same guy. Actually, Orton is already up one in the fumble for no reason tally. Also, Rex had a touchdown during his time.

Desmond Clark is the real deal. He's been underutilized this whole time. Which brings me to my next point...

Play calling still sucks. I know the point is to suss out which players you want to keep and which to dump, but when you have your supposed first string out there, try to string together an 81-yard touchdown drive. That's what KC did. Also, end of a game like this, you have one minute to get a TD. This is a great test for play calling. And... well, can't blame Turner or Hanie for decent plays and excellent passes if the receivers can't catch the f'n ball.

Offensive line - impressive so far. Considering how much they've changed AND they're without their big draft pick, it's pretty encouraging. Peterson and Forte had lanes to run through, and Orton and Grossman had time to pass. Hanie, too. Hanie?

Garrett Wolfe. Nice. 75 yards in two plays - one is a touchdown run from nothing.

Robbie Gould - maybe the best off-season money spent by the Bears. My favorite kicker next to Butthead.

Overall, I'm more optimistic than I was yesterday. I'd say we have three QBs now, and if Hanie can play like that vs. first stringers, we might have the future in our midst. The offensive line is impressive, and our running backs could look really good if they can stay healthy and continue to improve. Now, where's that defense?

Not bad.

1 comments:

Moderator,  12:13 PM  

There was a preseason game recently?

I don't follow football until October. I know. I'm a bad American.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP