So Here It Is
I'm sure there are plenty of great reasons for John McCain to pick someone with less of a track record than his opponent as his Vice Presidential candidate. I've heard a lot already - she's a reformer (?), she appeals to the alienated fundamental Republicans, she's young and attractive, etc. I really think, with fence-riding voters in the balance, that the Republican party did not want to enter this final leg without some kind of history to be made on their side.
From a resume perspective, there are plenty more qualified candidates than Palin. From an attractiveness standpoint, she's ahead of the curve, but from a historical angle, she would be the first female Vice President if elected. Now, there's a place for the Hillary supporters who are so spiteful about Obama's win (and hyper-focused on getting a woman into a higher office at any cost) AND a Republican option for voters who just want to be part of history. It's a slick move, I guess.
Anyhow, if you want to read a relatively exhaustive debate about partisan politics, Palin, abortion, and big oil, I recommend skimming through this post: http://www.metafilter.com/74487/Sarah-Palin-as-McCains-runningmate
Now, the news stations are offering coverage of the Republican convention where "history will be made". Well, the Democrats did it first. And, I'd contend, did it better.


0 comments:
Post a Comment