Flip Flopper
I'm tired of these pseudo-derogatory terms. In this case, "flip flop" is used to convey derision toward a politician that has changed stances on an issue. Pundits love this kind of crap. They wait in bushes to pounce on it. They'll eschew logic or common sense to be able to utter the phrase "flip flop" on national television.
Wouldn't it have been great for our country and the rest of the world if, before officially declaring war based on faulty information, W. Bush would have flip flopped? Isn't it commendable when a sentient person sees a new perspective on a situation and updates their opinion accordingly?
I realize it's a slippery slope. Obama could suddenly move to abolish abortion or expand wire tapping laws (highly doubtful). But, when you look at what he's actually changing his mind on, it's stuff that requires lots of research. If, since he stated that drilling should be used in the case of emergency only, then comes to the conclusion that we're closing in on emergency status, wouldn't the prudent thing be to update his stance?
We've had eight solid years of the opposite. While we didn't "cut and run," maybe we should have. "Support our troops." I pay my taxes which are supporting our troops. I would like for them to come home instead of being shot at every day - also supportive. Do I need to declare from this blog or on a street corner that I support my troops to really mean it? Bumper sticker? Is that the true measure of my support?
Bottom line, to me, is that I want someone who will weigh out the issues, not once, but continually. I want someone that will continue to look out for the best interest of me, my country, and the troops - even if that means changing his position a bit.


0 comments:
Post a Comment