Why I Like Obama
1. He's affable. I heard him a year or so ago on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and he was funny. Respectful but funny. Clever and well-spoken would be such a breath of fresh air in the presidency. I think the rest of the world would agree.
2. He's smart. Credentials and history aside, I get the feeling that the stuff he's floating out there is not just what he's being told to say, but stuff that he really believes. He either really believes the stuff or he's a great actor.
3. He looks like a hybrid American. As a representative of this country, who better than someone with a mix of cultures in his ancestry?
4. His wife doesn't seem to be a pushover. I feel like he won't get away with cheesiness because it will affect her as well.
5. His family attends a UCC church. My wife and I have become members at a UCC church and I've never felt more comfortable. I feel that the way the UCC church operates would be an ideal way for the government to operate and now there's a candidate that could actually do it. (See items 6 and 7.)
6. Affordable health care. He's addressed the other pressing issues but this appears to be his big "leg up" issue. So far, it sounds good and fair but I know many have had plans for health care and have also abandoned those plans once the bureaucracy settled in in the past.
7. 100% representation. I feel like inclusiveness will be his hallmark and the masses will not be left behind. I definitely do not get the impression that he'd be a "corporate" president and while he may have money in his family, I like that he and his wife are "doers", not necessarily "deciders". They may be white-collar but they seem to be "working class".
Here's my disclaimer. I feel like the fact that I don't know much about his history (voting, work, etc.) makes this an idealistic leap of faith. I've been known to take an idealistic stance in the past and I guess it is my way. On the other hand, since he's somewhat new to the scene, he could shock the world and really pull off what he says he's going to do.
I hope Obama runs on his plans and merits as much as possible. I know he'll run a smart campaign and will likely sling mud if necessary. Even if he doesn't win, he'll have instilled hope in me for the first time in a very long time. I think I'm an idealist because, well, wouldn't it be great if someone actually did clean some of this crap up?


11 comments:
He attended the Kane County Fair before his primary win for the senate a few years ago. I went knowing nothing about him and came away shocked and amazed. The guy is the real deal.
Chalk that up as reason number 8 because I assume you are not a pushover, either.
Well duh...the Antichrist is supposed to be a smooth operator!!
I do find him clean, articulate...and wonderfully human.
G'O'Bama!
I've never believed in a candidate like I believe in him. I'm even considering a contribution to his campaign, which I've never done for anyone before. My only concern, at this point, is that even two terms may not be sufficient time for him to make the kind of good, solid, long-lasting changes that will get the country back on a positive course.
I highly recommend that you read The Audacity of Hope. Given the way campaigns are run (30-second ads, 5-second soundbytes), his book goes much, much further in setting forth his viewpoints.
Oh - prairie dawg - you would not believe how many people I've heard that "antichrist" comment from - but they are absolutely serious. Poor Obama, he has a real uphill climb ahead of him.
We were discussing this at work this morning and realized that Hillary might have a large portion of the country unsure if they want a woman to be the president. Obama likely has a significant portion of the population unsure about a minority president PLUS another portion likely willing to do anything necessary to keep it from happening. (And I'm not talking about republicans, either.)
It almost makes you wonder why he'd bother to throw his hat in the ring. (But I'm glad he did.)
I just thought of something. In Star Wars, didn't the Empire have the "Republican Guard"? Wasn't that also the name of the group that fought for Saddam? Interesting...
Yeah, I think some people will have trouble deciding which will be "worse": an all-white woman or a half-black man. I can't say I've conducted any research on this point, but my gut tells me they'd go for the man.
Or John Edwards.
I want to say one thing about the "idealistic leap of faith"
That is something this country could use right about now...
If there is a candidate that symbolizes hope or something to put our faith in...he seems to be the guy. These kind of things may turn around and bite us in the butt, but every once in awhile it is ok to believe in politics.
Then we are crushed and brought back to reality.
One other thing about being "idealistic" - that is fine within reason (is that an oxymoron?) just as long as being "idealistic" doesn't morph into becoming an ideologue. That quickly becomes a shortcut to thinking.
I have similar feelings about the Jr. Senator from Illinois. (Why's it gotta be the Jr. Senator?!?!)
I'm not waiting for the other shoe to drop or the bubble to burst.
Let's see what happens.
And I have to do more than leaf (Ryan?) through the Audacity of Hope.
Finally, stop saying John Edwards.
I kill the next muthafuka that says John Edwards!
Post a Comment