Kona Rocks

Got back yesterday morning from a week-long excursion to Kona-Kailua, Hawaii. It was just as you would expect Hawaii to be - perfect weather, beautiful scenery, rich history. It was also very far away. As a result, I never quite adjusted to the five-hour time difference and am still paying the price at work today.
That said, it was a great time. I actually saw a live Humuhumunukunukuapuaa fish on a snorkel trip along with some swimming sea turtles and a plethora of other colorful fish. Really amazing.
There was a great brewery (Kona Brewing Co.) with a pub, a good sushi place (Wasabi), a spectacular coffee shop (Lava Java) with excellent fish tacos and bakery, plus a number of perfectly scenic views at other restaurants. Our condo had a full-on kitchen but we only ate there once. The pool area had a hot tub shaped from actual lava rocks with a waterfall and a sand bottom. It blended in with the landscape so well that I didn't know it was a hot tub until someone turned on the jets. That was cool.
We also did a tour of a coffee farm which was really more of a coffee tasting session and a description of a bunch of the trees on the site. Not that I was hoping to go trudging through a coffee field or anything. The coffee was excellent as you might imagine. We also went to a luau which was pretty cool. My only complaint would be the visible Walmart off in the distance. Kind of kills the traditional vibe. Kamehameha III would not abide.
Overall, it went way too fast. Because of the time change, we were in bed by 9 most nights and up by 5 every morning. It actually worked out pretty well because it forced us to take it easy in the morning since nothing really opened until 8, anyhow. Also, I would have liked to spend one whole day just loafing around but my family is pretty active.
If I were to make a recommendation, I'd suggest that anyone visiting Kona try to stay at the Hilton Waikoloa (sp?) for at least one night. The architecture is beautiful and usable and you can snorkel right on the grounds or swim with dolphins or just lay on the beach with one of the most spectacular views in the entire world.
I do not recommend the Kona Walmart.


3 comments:
I hate you and I'm jealous. We're planning time in Hawaii in 2008. My wife lived there for three years in the 1990s. She's never quite adjusted to the mainland.
HAWAII?
I'm pedaling my bike around some swampy woods prentending it's a horse and you're in HAWAII?
I'm going "Oh -- SNAKEY!" by the lake and turning around FAST as this was no garter snake and you're in HAWAII?
I'm posting teeny-bop "essays" about Marc Anthony and you're in HAWAII?
I hate you too, ChrisB.
Come to think of it,I hate you too Grant Miller, with your "Going in 2008" self.
Don't be hatin'. Or go ahead and be hatin'. I still went to Hawaii. I did take a picture of a horse statue just for you.
Post a Comment