Shoot a Real Iraqi
When you saw the title of this post, what went through your mind? It's actually an accurate description of the project I'm about to describe but I'm hoping the process of reason and curiosity has already begun.
There's a teacher at the Art Institute of Chicago named Wafaa Bilal who has put his own well being on the line to further the dialog and thought process regarding war and violence and hypocrisy and human nature. He's set up a living room with a web cam attached to a paint ball gun which can be controlled remotely and anonymously. You can shoot him. If you want to shoot him. I suppose that's the point.
His story is pretty compelling - here's an interview.
Here's the actual site with the camera and gun.
If this were a commercial site operated by Old Spice where you shoot at the clown or something, it wouldn't seem so heavy. But, with the added context and understanding of who this gentleman is and where he's been, it goes even beyond political and becomes a human concern. I mean, he put himself in the position to get hit, but paint balls hurt and it appears to be 100% real. Nobody is tricking an anonymous visitor into pulling the trigger. 6500 times.


4 comments:
You have to admit there's a certain allure to try and shoot him just to see if the thing actually works. I tried to shoot his stationary bike. I missed.
Jesus, I'm sorry but that is funny.
I didn't pull the trigger.
I don't think it was working but I tried to shoot the shit out of everything.
Post a Comment