La Musica (por el perro de la pradera)
I've been going through a musical renaissance lately since I've gotten a large bulk of my CD collection ripped to the computer. I have been backing up the MP3s on an external hard drive as well as my MP3 player. I love listening to whatever the MP3 player serves up randomly when I'm walking the dog. Today, I got the Cure, James Brown, Sufjan Stevens, Deftones and Red Peters ("You Ain't Gettin' Shit For Christmas").
One band I used to love and have re-discovered this way is Alice Donut. They were on Alternative Tentacles through 1996 and had a hard-rock/post-punk sound that defied description by mixing traditional instruments with washboards, trombones, etc. - very eclectic but not annoying. I saw them live at the Metro once and, although it was all ages and there were very few people there, they rocked the heezy.
I loved a few of their tracks and I'd add those to mix tapes and listen to them a lot. Today, I heard "The Son of a Disgruntled X-Postal Worker..." from their live album Dry Humping the Cash Cow. I don't remember the song on its own even though I've listened to that CD a number of times. This led to the happy discovery that they're back together with two new records! Check 'em out. (Lots of their stuff is not safe for work...)
Also, I love SomaFM.com - specifically the Indie Pop Rocks show. I first heard the band Monuments there, then found that they were relatively new and part of a collective known as the Periodic Label out of New York. I recommend sampling all kinds of stuff at the Periodic Label but the song Worlds from Monuments flips some kind of switch in my little brain. I'm sure I wrote about it before but it's worthy of another mention. The grimy guitar bridge parts are sublime and yet filled with fury. I still hum it in my head all the time. Anyhow, check out the band, the label and SomaFM for plenty of new music.
Finally, I stumbled upon Mr. Dante Fontana's Visual Guidance which is a blog that aggregates old and odd music videos from YouTube and the like. I can get lost in YouTube pretty easily - this is a good way to aim straight for the gold.


4 comments:
I love Red Peters.
Monuments are awesome
Auftn, I'd be happy to make a CD with a ton of MP3s on it for you if you're interested. Tell me where to send it (offline).
Man, I loved Alice Donut.
'The Untidy Suicides of Your Degenerate Children' (the album that The Son of a Disgruntled X-Postal Worker... was on) was definitely their best album.
Back in the day, any time I had a friend that was into Jane's Addiction, I'd dub off a tape copy of USoYDC and turn 'em into AD fans. I was lucky enough to see 'em a few times, and I'd bet good money that I was at that same Metro show. Funny.
Post a Comment