A Little Love for Lovie
I'm a little concerned about the off-season. Traditionally, the Bears used to deal star players for future benefit which rarely worked. Since Jerry Angelo has been here, it seems like the quality of draft picks has improved and some of the trades have been inspired (like bringing Thomas Jones here in the midst of a mediocre career) or getting Mark Anderson in general. I'm hoping that losing Ron Rivera was calculated.
Also, I hope we don't make a mistake with Thomas Jones after all he's done for the team. I keep hearing on the radio that Devin Hester will be moved to the offense which concerns me. Standing still and catching the ball is one thing (and proved to be a problem for him on a couple of occasions) but running routes and catching timed passes with a safety teeing up a big hit is something else completely. We'll see. I hope that doesn't preclude us from looking for another receiver.
I'm glad Lovie finally got paid. All the blather in all forms of media has been silly in retrospect. Jerry Angelo, Lovie and Ted Phillips have all said the same things and the outcome is exactly what was advertised. At the end of the day, Jerry has done a good job in bringing world-class talent, Lovie has done a great job of coaching (might need to work on mid-game adjustment strategies), and the last three years have been the most hopeful I can remember since '86.
All that said, I still think our best chance for a Superbowl win was last year. If we can keep everyone and make some improvements in the offensive line (and maybe safety), we should easily win the NFC North (even if Randy Moss becomes a Packer) and probably win a first round playoff bye. After that, I'm out of predictions.
Fingers are crossed...


6 comments:
Maybe even more important than Lovie - Jerry A got his extension. He has plugged in a lot of great players...I think Thomas Jones has done alot for the Bears - but they can get another guy like him after next year (does that sound terrible?)...
The major concern in the running game is organizational - how committed will Ron Turner be to the run, can Angelo make another signing like he did with Tait a few years ago?...I know it sounds cold but do you really believe Thomas Jones has three years of tread on that tire? He didn't even have much left in the breakaway speed department last year.
I'm not saying Ced Bensen is the answer to anything but the Bears running game will be Ced Benson and....
And that's where it is.
I do think that Jones has the quickness to consistently get big yards. I know this - when he gets the ball, I'm not worried about turnovers, I'm not worried about first downs, I'm not worried about injuries, and I frequently find myself jumping up and down as he breaks one loose. He's been the most exciting Bears running back since Walter in my opinion.
Had we not been in Rexperimentation mode this past year, I have no doubt he would have had another outstanding season - but you NEVER HEARD A WORD FROM HIM OTHER THAN SUPPORT. No QB controversy, no contract bullshit - nothing. That's exceptional on and off the field. He wants to win.
Benson wants what he feels is due to him. This ain't college. He reminds me of an over-hyped Brad Muster. It was fun to watch that rhino bowl over defenders but it didn't last.
p.s. - I saw Jones break away in the NFC championship and against the Colts (when he was actually given the ball) for impressive runs. Yes, I think he's good for the next three years - especially if you put him behind some real horses.
One more thing - if I find out that they traded M Brown, I won't be upset. Get what you can and draft at the safety position. That makes much more sense to me than getting rid of Jones because you didn't expect him to be so solid and spent money on his replacement.
There's no doubt Jones broke two runs against the Saints but both of them would've been TDs with some other backs. I am not saying get rid of Jones. But I am saying that I would be surprised if he was as productive next year as he was this year...let alone 2 years from now.
Running backs have a limited shelf life in the NFL. I don't know what the Bears should roll out for Thoms Jones. They are committed to Benson, should they really be committed to two backs.
I think we basically agree that Jones has been a great back for the Berars these past two years - I am more of a naysayer when it comes to Jones and the long haul.
Next.
Benson might be the real deal. Or he might be a headcase with loads of potential.
And, without Jones, what happens if Benson gets hurt? Adrian Peterson (the original) is one of my favorite Bears but I'm not ready to put a whole season on his shoulders. Would a high-pick rookie be ready to take the ball? I understand what you're saying, Ed, but I like the safe bet and we just traded that to NY.
Post a Comment