Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Big Time Content

A things I'm aware of and use frequently but keep forgetting to pass on to you people:

1. Wikipedia - You're probably well acquainted with it by now but if not, look up anything. I mean ANYTHING. It's in there.

2. IMDB - I'm on there nearly every day looking up the movie where I saw that one guy I recognized from this one tv show. It gives William T. Garver a run for his money. (I also recommend tv.com in the same regard.)

3. Internet Archive - tons and tons of content. If you like books or movies that are in the public domain, this is your place. There are live concerts (I just downloaded a Dub Trio show from '05), audio books, movies, text, art, etc. You could get lost in here.

3 comments:

Michael K 11:41 AM  

Another lesser known resource I use to get free video is peekvid.com. They have a lot of bootlegged movies and tv shows on there though many of the links are often dead. Me no likey to pay for stuff. I don't even pay for bandwidth. I am stealing that shit from my neighbor right now.

Chris B. 12:16 PM  

We had a big debate here about "stealing" bandwidth. I don't think it's stealing. If somebody had the skills to get a wireless router and set it up, they would have seen a number of admonishments urging them to encrypt the data (not difficult - one checkbox in most cases).

So, I feel like if you buy an appliance that broadcasts a signal, it's your responsibility to protect the signal if you want. If I'm not breaking through your security measures to get to your signal, I'm just using what's floating around in the air. I don't think that's stealing.

Michael K 1:11 PM  

I agree. If you are broadcasting an open signal,you are "sharing". At least that's the way I feel about it.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP