A Template, If You Will
Here's the story of Adam Archuleta - he could have come to Chicago last year but he chose to chase the money with Washington instead of a championship with the Bears. Now, he's taking a significant pay cut to play with the Bears since things didn't play out as he hoped in Washington.
I hope he gets here soon so he can talk to Lance Briggs. Briggs could get the money he's always hoped for but contracts are made to be broken - especially if you end up in a system that's not as solid as the Chicago defense and you maybe don't have the opportunities to look as good as you have.
How do athletes not see the difference? If you work hard and take slightly less to stay with a city (especially Chicago), you'll have the chance to open restaurants, do autograph sessions, get free dinners, and have people tell you how much they appreciate you for the rest of your life. If you hold out for the money, that's all you get. And sometimes, that's not there even though your agent told you it would be. Ask Adam.


8 comments:
I know what you mean. The weird thing is that it's often not even about greed. It's about pride. I mean, the difference between signing a $30 million contract and a $40 million contract is the "So and so gets paid this much so I should get paid this much." argument. You are going to be rich beyond your wildest dreams either way but you are gonna complain out of pride.
Briggs said that it's unfortunate, but players are valued by how much they are worth monitarily in the league. I'm paraphrasing but that didn't make any sense to me when he said it - except in the context of your argument. So, if I have it right, he's saying that he wants something long-term but he also wants to be able to be proud of how much he's making or he'll pout and miss a year and potentially hurt his marketability down the road.
I would take the $30 MM and the loyalty of a city in a heartbeat. In six or seven years (when he's 33), pride in how much he's making won't be an issue anymore and he'll be just another ex-player.
Things never play out like people hope in Washington (in sports or politics). Just ask any of the ex-Skins players since Snyder took over.
The one possible exception may be Darryll Green - He's doin' pretty good for himself out here...
Fuck, Green would be Walter Peyton famous and own half of Chicago if he had retired from the Bears, nevermind.
I agree completely, but it works best if you play for a winner.
I remember when Scotty Pods hit his WS home run in 2005. I turned to my wife and said "He's never gonna have to pay for a meal in Chicago again."
HOLY SHIT CHRIS - I LOVE YOUR RADIO!
uh, your page radio, the radio on this page - whatever the heck you call it I want to marry it.
It's actually an experiment. I've been extolling the virtues of SomaFM for a while but I heard about this Last.FM for a while, too. It's different - SomaFM broadcasts a stream of genre-driven music over the internet. Last.FM is kind of like the music version of Flickr. It can involve software if you really get into it. I'll do a post on it once I understand it better.
All I'm saying is I feel like I have access to some great rock - some I know some I didn't explore as much when I had the chance and it is running alot when I am on my computer. My internet radio choices are me driven more often than not and I find in this life if you let other people drive sometimes you get to see some more of the scenery. I am not trying to get you to fuck me up the ass...
...yet.
They don't get free dinners. I seen a plenty of ball players charged handsomley at Spiaggia. we give them every chance to spend their hard earned millions.
Baylor tried walking out on his bill once. He paid. Tim floyd was cheap. The Yankees eat the best and tip the best. They knoe their food, except for matsuki.
Post a Comment