Not Computers or Football
But my lovely wife will probably still not be entertained. You comic lovers might dig this, though.
Afro Samurai!! If this is not new, I wasn't aware of it before. It's got all the classic samurai plot lines - murdered father who comes back as an apparition to remind the journeyman son to avenge him, frankensamurai brought back from the brink of death via black magic, pretty excellent art and Samuel L. Jackson.
I haven't watched a lot of Japanimation but this seems like a kind of hybrid. There are a number of different styles at play. There's clearly recognizable anime elements, almost baroque landscapes, and crazy details. It reminds me of the original Aeon Flux but with a little more plot.
Somebody bring me up to speed if I'm missing something.


2 comments:
I haven't seen the show myself, but I picked up a new pop culture magazine called "Rocket" at Borders, and it had an article dedicated to the show. It sounded like the animation and writing was much better than standard television Anime (which I despise). I'll have to set the TIVO.
I've seen one episode and loved it.
That's it.
Post a Comment