Friday, February 09, 2007

As If You Needed More Reasons

We've been on a Walmart boycott at our house for a few years now. After seeing what Walmart does to a local economy first-hand in DeKalb and more recently watching the movie called "Walmart: The High Cost of Low Price", we cannot justify spending another penny there. I'm not sure that the other "big box" stores are any more conscientious in their practices but I AM sure that Walmart is NOT a nice company. I just ran across this bit of information regarding a Nazi insignia on a t-shirt Walmart has been selling.

I don't really believe that Walmart is now trying to pass a Nazi or Aryan agenda to their unsuspecting customers. I do see a clear illustration of ignorance in such a high-volume, commercial culture. Apparently, some of the shirts are still on the shelves weeks after it was brought to their attention. I'd be interested to find out where the designer and actual manufacturer are located.

5 comments:

Moderator 2:38 PM  

If I remember correctly, Target got into trouble a few years ago for the same sort of thing.

DC Liar 1:58 AM  

Okay, I spent 15 minutes online, and got enough information to expose this insidious conspiracy.

The shirts were manufactured by a company named NOBO, which is incorporated in the UK.

The symbol itself is the Totenkopf. It originated in the Prussian army of the 1700's. A small regiment of Nazis later co-opted the image for their own use. The same image has also been used by the post-punk band Death in June, and The Melvins.
The best explanation I've read for '1978" is that it's from a popular European board game from that year that predominantly featured the image (or from the publication date of The Turner Diaries, if you want to go the tin-foil hat route).

As much as I hate to play Wal-Mart apologist, It seems like this is another instance of those kooky leftist bloggers blowing things WAY out of proportion.
My own take is that this is a flagrant francophobic smear campaign waged by the limeys, since anti-Napoleonic sentiment was the genesis of the fucking symbol in the first place.

Chris B. 5:37 AM  

Yeah, it does get annoying that every little nuance is blown to epic proportions in the blog-o-sphere and I guess I'm contributing. (sorry.)

On the other hand, it does make me mad that they can send out a corporate jet to isolate and squash an employee that even hints about unionization, but they take their sweet time getting a Nazi symbol (accidental or intentional) off their shelves.

edP 5:51 AM  

DC Liar has exposed the Consumerist expose (I can't do the fucking accent mark - help ChrisB).

DC, are you debunking the debunkers?

Should I even be saying bunkers in reference to all this Nazi stuff?

Chris B. 10:10 AM  

alt key + 0232 = รจ

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP