Monday, February 05, 2007

Ugh.

In retrospect, the Bears only ever said they wanted to make it to the Superbowl. I don't think I ever heard one of them say they wanted to win the Supebowl - including last week. So, they have had two very successful regular seasons (first round playoff bye both times, coach of the year once and home field advantage this year). We suffered two significant injuries on the defense at a really bad time and I still wonder about the offensive play calling on a consistent basis.

So, I'm hopeful for next year. The worst part is holding my breath throughout the off-season to see who gets traded. I'm also really concerned that Lovie won't get the respect he deserves after such a significant change of direction for the team. He was winning last year with a third-string QB and got us all the way to the Superbowl this year.

Just the fact that there's a culture of winning now makes me want to keep everyone and adopt a slightly new philosophy on offense. The crux of the new philosophy is to run first, pass second. If Benson or Jones goes out, Peterson should be ready to take the open spot. The offensive line needs a killer (maybe Kreutz is past his prime) and they need another smart receiver. I was hoping Mark Bradley would be able to fill that bill but maybe he's just not reliable enough.

Also, philosophically speaking, I'd like to see Brian Griese challenge Rex during the season. If we start to see "bad Rex", that would be a good time to see if our other QBs have anything to contribute. We now know that "bad Rex" can spiral totally out of control, so we're not really risking anything. In fact, it puts an entirely different look on our offense which could actually win a game for us.

If we're able to shore up the offense and create some consistency, keep the injuries to a minimum on the defensive side, and keep everyone out of jail, there's no reason why we can't go back next year. If I'm Lovie Smith, my goal is to have a perfect season. They face some of the toughest teams in the league next year and if they can focus on beating all of them, they will earn the respect they haven't gotten this year. Tall order? Indeed. But not impossible.

We'll see what shakes out this week and further into the off-season.

2 comments:

edP 10:44 AM  

I'm not sure what all this talk about trades is with the NFL. They just don't get resigned.

Either way, there will be some changes.

My biggest concern, the O-line. How many years does Tait have left? Can the line stay healthy next year?

I am excited that they have Grossman in a contract year. They don't sign him and let him play for his next contract.

Lance Briggs? Will he be resigned? Will Drew Rosenhaus answer a single question at the press conference or will he keep saying "Next contract!"?

Doesn't look like Rivera is even getting an interview now with Dallas. Now what?

I wouldn't have anything to do with that mess if I was him. Forget the personalities - the stupid pussy-ass 3-4 Defense can suck my left nut.

I think the most important stable component is Jerry Angelo. He proved he could put together a winner. He finds playmakers.

The Colts as a whole had a better team and probably would've beaten the Bears if they had Tommie Harris and Mike Brown out there.

Shore up the O-Line, give Rex one more year to grw...make one more move in the defensive secondary...

Whoever comes to replace Rivera, or Rivera himself if he comes back - - that Defense is soooo close to being the best defense in the league. They react fairly well to crisis they are put in. I really believe the D redeemed itself from the fuck up against the Panthers two years ago.

Maybe Angelo makes one ore two more free agent signings in the secondary...although most of those guys acquitted themselves well. Nutty Tillman did not lose the game for the Bears inasmuch as the Colts offense just beat the ever living fuck out of our beloved Bears Defense.

And even with all that - I was still hopeful when the Bears were within 5 (until you know who threw the you know whats)

edP 10:46 AM  

Oh and I hope the Bears keep Ron Turner. You can't blame him for his came plan. He had no time to implement it. The COlts running game and offense in general played like men.

Damn them.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP