Thursday, November 09, 2006

URGH! (I'm OK.)



One of my first punk/brit pop experiences came via a compilation from a movie I never saw called "Urgh! A Music War". I had the first double LP for quite a few years. Then came what we can refer to as "the dark ages" where I moved a lot and hosted a lot of parties. The record went missing, but a generous station manager at WKDI allowed me to take the station's copy when he realized how much I missed it. (There was little chance that it would be played by anyone other than me, anyhow.) This was still in the latter part of "the dark ages" and as you might have guessed, this copy went missing, too. Here comes the happy ending:

We visited Jennie's brother in L.A. and stopped in Amoeba Records because I can't just pass up a good record store. I looked in all of the Various Artists and Soundtrack bins hoping against hope that I'd find the record. It seemed like a slim chance considering used copies sell on Amazon for $97. In the last batch I checked (third or fourth from the very last LP I would have flipped) sat the record. I didn't believe it at first, then I looked for the price with trepidation... $14.99!! That's less than it would have cost when it was released!

Last night, I ripped the two LPs to my hard drive. Both records were in perfect condition, for the record. I'm working on a way to get this music to you if you're interested in it. (Let me know.)

3 comments:

Kim,  1:57 AM  

I have this on vinyl also.
I love that Klaus Nomi!
(You know, Klaus MAY (?) have been the first celeb to die from AIDS. Think I recall hearing that ...)

Chris B.,  2:05 PM  

I did not know that much about Klaus. I do know that I've ripped both records of the set and I plan to put them up somewhere where you (and everyone) can download them.

Lady Di )O(,  8:39 AM  

Hellz yes, Chris B!!! I want that and I want that alot! That's hot shit!

Also, thanks for the restaurant info the other night when I was in Action City. I mean, you didn't help all that much but thanks anyway.

Now if you would, you go to yousendit and YOU SEND IT TO DI-DI!!!

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP