On a Lighter Note
I haven't posted about food in a while. My latest brainstorm for saving money and getting away from highly processed food is to buy a plastic bin that will fit in the work refrigerator and hold an entire complement of sandwich making works.
My favorite sandwich bread is the onion bagel from Natural Ovens. Delicious and good for you. My new favorite lunchmeat is from Hormel Natural. It has no preservatives, fillers or other bad stuff. I'll take my chances with fat and sodium as long as I'm not clogging up my system with other garbage.
I like cheese but I can live without it. Jewel happens to carry a muenster cheese from Wisconsin that is out of this world. Indispensible in the equation, however, is mustard. The best deal for mustard is Koop's. If you haven't tried it, it's as good or better as any other mustard I've tried. (Also made in WI.) Most people rave about their Arizona Heat flavor but I prefer the horseradish mustard.
Finally, I have a big tub of vanilla yogurt from Dannon which has no preservatives or high fructose corn syrum and tastes really good. A little natural granola (Bear Naked is expensive but remarkably good) and you have a satisfying, healthy snack.
In summary, even paying a premium for the more natural choices, for what I'd spend on two lunches out at restaurants, I can have good, healthy lunches for a whole week or more.


3 comments:
We are brothers in Koops!
Do you have multiple bottles of the same Koops on your fridge door?
I'm leaving for the Jewels in 10 minutes. I will pick up that mustard. If you're wrong, can I get my money back?
Sure - take it back to the Jewels or the Eagles (oh wait, they're closed) and ask for your money back. Or, you can post here again with your gratitude for the mustard tip.
Post a Comment