Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Minor Epiphany

I think I learned something this morning on my drive to work. I believe that operating with niceness and with other peoples' concerns in mind makes it much easier to live without regret. Living a life of anger, hostility and avariciousness leaves plenty of room for regret down the road.

This is where a major divide in people and politics lies. I've heard the axiom "It's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission." The reason this statement seems counterintuitive is because it is counterintuitive.

To ask for permission (rhetorically speaking) is a weaker position at the outset because it transfers power to the entity being asked for permission. It might also be perceived as the "asker" showing submissiveness.

On the other side, asking for forgiveness insinuates that the presumed action is already on shaky moral ground. It could go well or it could require forgiveness. However, the perception here is that by forgoing permission, the "asker" is self-assured enough to take action independent of another entity.

In a broader sense, this might be the difference in ideology between political parties. I'm sure I'll get help with understanding how this broad statement is inaccurate from my more learned friends, but in light of the current state of the union, it seems clear which party falls into each category.

Maybe we could call the two sides "askers" and "deciders".

8 comments:

olddogdk 9:43 AM  

I hate you do-gooder liberals! You make me so angry!

I regret nothing!

olddogdk 9:44 AM  

I need an aspirin.

Anonymous,  11:54 AM  

Yeah, I'm not sure about your formula there, in terms of the political spectrum. But it is an interesting topic. The temptation is to think there's something in our character that leads us to pick one side or the other, politically, but even that is misleading.

For example, the "tolerance" of the liberal finds an echo in the "individual liberty" emphasis of the libertarian--but both have a much different view of the Constitution.

Similarly, there are authoritarian strains at either extreme. The Right is routinely caricatured as fascist, but scratch a true Leftist and you'll find a totalitarian seething under the surface, a wolf in sheep's clothing of "equality."

The most reasonable "divider" I've heard is that a liberal operates from a love-based ideology, where a conservative operates from a fear-based ideology. Both have plusses and minusses, Lucys and Linusses. But it does sort of work for me, and it may be what you're getting at.

Chris B. 12:18 PM  

The political part spilled out while I was ruminatin'. What I was thinking about on the way to work was regarding my reactions to traffic conditions. I usually go with the "nice" approach - the "love" approach, if you will.

Many others (and I noticed this in Los Angeles, especially) prefer to pretend that the cars around them do not actually exist or are only there to be in their way. They are operating on a "hate" basis. Maybe there's fear in there somewhere, too.

Moderator 12:37 PM  

What about the deciderers?

edP 8:22 PM  

You certainly had me with the first paragraph. It is easier to live when we consider the needs of others. We are less likely to give in to self pity and other types of self destructive behavior - including too much love of self. I'm not sure if that translates to the political divide in America or in the West in the way you suggest...

I'm not dismissing it, I just need to think about the comparrison between a personal approach that sounds giving - and what it means for politics.

My instinct is the last paragraph of the PDawg's remarks is closer to my understanding of the problem or the sorce of divisiveness all around us. The difference is ideology itself whether it leans left or veers right. Those who adhere to ideology aren't interested in having a conversation with anybody. They already know their answer...all that's left is the means to its implementation. If one party has learned how not to be monopolized by ideology it has been the Dems. They've learned to open their ten as I see the last election.

Everybody has said America has spoken with the last election...it had a lot to do with the failed policy in Iroc..but I also think the Dems finally responded to decent middle class Americans who found the post modern Democratic party hopelessly out of touch with their needs. Let's see what's happened to the ideologues on the left...if they've really learned to listen to Americans...if they will maintain the child tax credit (or dogmatically repudiate it because it promotes a dated value system and keeps precious treasure away from the redistributors...that means you CHarile Rangle you charming son of a bitch)...

By the way, I am listening to the Woman IN You Brings OUt the Worry in Me...great mix tape you gave me ChrisB.

Keep thinking about big things while you're driving ChrisB...except when you're driving me!

edP 8:26 PM  

By the way - I just noticed the Engine Records link here. ONe of the Profiled artists was Bang Bang. I just stumbled across their band recently. They remind me of one of ALex's favorite bands Dressy Bessy

Chris B. 8:47 PM  

I think the political angle came as I was writing the blog post (after the first paragraph).

My simplistic impression of the characterization of Democrats is that they're liberal and want to give things to people for free. This seems to really irk Republicans. (I'm not even sure if this is a liberal vs. conservative thing - it seems political to me.)

My equally simplistic impression of the characterization of Republicans is that they're pro-corporation, beaurocratic and unflinchingly, conservatively "right" all the time.

So, from an issues perspective, I felt like I'd feel better about offering welfare or handouts than deciding to call a war. It's probably a ridiculous jump.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP