Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Tidbits

I'm a little disappointed that Cub Foods will be leaving the local market. We moved more than a year ago and had to acclimate to new grocery stores, restaurants, etc. One of the nice surprises was Cub. They had lower prices than the bigger stores (like Jewel or Dominick's) and didn't require some card or program to get those prices.

They also had fresher produce than most other grocery stores and they started adding lots of organic and vegetarian foods to their shelves in the past year. Plus, they had a lot of choices geared toward the local Hispanic market that I'd never seen before. They seemed less constrained by corporate distribution deals and more likely to stock something if the neighborhood wanted it.

The store by us was always clean. The manager was on the floor a lot and he was always busy directing employees and helping customers. It seemed like he enjoyed his job. I appreciated that.

I presume we'll shift our grocery shopping to the newly built Woodman's store which is a little further away but also has good prices (no program card necessary) and a huge selection. Still, I am all about stasis so I don't like when a good thing disappears for no good reason.

Where do you shop for food?

3 comments:

Anonymous,  10:32 AM  

We shopped at Cub Foods - mainly for the prices. Now we will probably switch to Food For Less which is run by Kroger.

Michael K 12:40 PM  

Check this site out: http://www.fuckcorporategroceries.net/

Moderator 1:55 PM  

9/10 I go to Jewels. It reminds me of being a kid. My mom always went there and it was always my favorite place to go.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP