Monday, July 14, 2008

Politics and Weblogs

I am sick of brown, so I'm changing up the looks of this old blog. I had considered changing the name, too, but I'm a follower of the path of least resistance, so Fledgling Times it shall stay.

We had a great weekend. The weather was perfect, we went to Maggiano's for lunch one day, and the Crafty Squirrel came by with recording gear to begin our next project. (There was cake and ice cream, too.) We made it to the farmer's market on Saturday morning, even.

Talking to my dad this week, I realized something about the allegory between our ideals, and the ideals of the two political parties. My dad came from nothing, went to church his whole life, got a few lucky breaks, but worked very hard to earn a good living and provide for his family. He retired early and watches his retirement fund pretty carefully. He has lots of reasons to be careful and protective of what he has.

I grew up with him already pretty successful, and a whole support group of grandparents and extended family available to help out at any time, too. You could say I've lived a "privileged" life. Never having worried about my next meal (and also willing to work hard), I have a slightly different outlook on the future. I'm more concerned with making positive changes for everyone than protecting what I already have.

Anyhow, I feel like the current presidential race is pretty parallel to our positions. You've got the older, conservative guy espousing the "protect and defend" mentality versus the younger, liberal guy promoting change. (The young guy is right, of course.)

3 comments:

bigsoda,  11:28 AM  

I think it's even more basic than that... It's the difference between thinking our problems are someone else's fault and our own. In the old-school view, things were good until the X showed up. In the new-school view, there's a more holistic view of things. X is us. X's problems are our problems. We all need to fix it.

P-Dizzle,  7:04 AM  

Y'alls blog looks tight

bigsoda,  11:58 AM  

And, y'alls blog looks tight.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP