Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Need Help

I'm perplexed. I've never been a Liz Phair fan because her music is brooding, whiny-sounding, and totally mediocre in my opinion. Pitchfork is offering a lengthy DVD she shot and compiled for free viewing this week. I've been running it in the background at work, and now I REALLY don't understand how she ever became famous.

Some of it is other famous people struggling to say nice things about her record, then talking about how bad her shows sucked, then talking about how she would beg them for beers because she was either underage or broke. Annoying. I think the point was to give insight into the early 90s Chicago scene, but what I learned instead is that Liz Phair was a bit of a suburban coke whore who had no idea what kind of privilege she lucked into with no discernible talent.

Am I missing something? What's the point of putting this together? Why would you want to show the world exactly how vapid you are? Decide for yourself: http://pitchfork.tv/week/liz-phair-guyville-redux

I was ambivalent before, but now I actively dislike Liz Phair. Dave Matthews, too. I have a new appreciation for Ira Glass, however.

5 comments:

P-Dizzle 9:48 AM  

I have to agree, though I think Exile is easily one of the best records of the 90s.

"Let's talk about meeeeeeee!"

Watching this is painful. I actually skipped through a bunch of the parts, esp. Ira Glass. Wayy too much Ira--why? Some of the tension is pretty vicariously fun, I suppose. I like how she admits what a liar and a user she was. I always wondered what Gerard Cosloy looked like. The guys from Urge manifest the effects of heavy drug use. And John Cusack is there...why?

Chris B. 10:57 AM  

Right - that's my point. Basically, I didn't like her before (I respectfully disagree on Exile, too), but now that she's seen fit to show us everyone she has in her rolodex (contact list for you kiddies) - even the folks who didn't really like her - I find her distasteful. I'm guessing she was looking for self-effacing and brave. Oops.

Moderator 12:51 PM  

Her first record is great. It slowly and painfully went downhill from there. But I agree, she did luck into some powerful music types along they that certainly helped her career. I haven't clicked on the video yet, but I'm surprised Pitchfork gave her the time of day. THey've hated her last several records, if I'm correct.

Chris B. 1:01 PM  

I can only guess that she did some badgering to rekindle her "fame" with this DVD. If I'm Pitchfork and I hate her, I post it for free! She loses revenue on the DVD and all credibility as any kind of talent. Bravo Pitchfork!

P-Dizzle 1:12 PM  

I'm glad they did post it because I might have bought the reissue just to see the film.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP