Thursday, July 17, 2008

Basic Psychology

There's another lesson at play during this presidential campaign, and it's an important one. In high school, I learned about the different options for changing a person's behavior. There's punishment which is pretty self explanatory, negative reinforcement, and positive reinforcement. The most effective of these for long-term behavior change is positive reinforcement.

Obama has been talking about hope and change to make the country better. He's been pointing to areas where he disagrees with his opposition, but has not made negative assertions about them personally. In fact, he's made a point of complimenting his opponents during debates. His speeches are so popular because they predict a brighter future for a large segment of Americans during his term as president. If he can make good on any of his plans, there would be nothing more reinforcing than positive success.

On the other hand, if he gets us behind him, then wilts under the international spotlight, it could be relatively devastating. It's not unprecedented. I feel like Republicans can forge ahead, even in a shit storm like the one the current administration has created. Democrats don't seem to be as resilient. Audacity, indeed.

Then there's McCain. He's a proponent of the war and keeping us there "so we don't have to fight terrorists here." Sure, he's talking about a measured withdrawal, but if things change, he could also escalate the troop levels. Also, he voted for torture. His speeches are popular because they make us feel like we're protected from terror if we don't change things too radically. That's classic negative reinforcement.

Hell, the DHS is negative reinforcement. The trick here is - if nothing bad happens, it's justified. If something does happen, that's why all that stuff was put in place. So, it's easier (and politically safer) to take the negative route. It's much more risky to offer a better future, even if it's what most people want.

I'm an idealist and I'd rather focus on how to make things better than how to avoid bad things. The latter seems to be an endless, fruitless treadmill.

3 comments:

bigsoda 12:00 PM  

Yeah. It's the old,
"Why are you carrying an umbrella on a sunny day?"
"To keep the alligators away."
"There are no alligators around here!"
"See? It's working."

Chris B. 12:11 PM  

At the risk of sounding like an utter idiot/jerk, I would surmise that the amount of people killed in terrorist attacks involving airplanes is minimal in comparison to all the people who have been safely transported with no issue. Also, my chances of getting shot in Aurora gang crossfire are much higher than the "terrorist" threat of the Middle East spilling onto our shores - with or without the DHS. I mean, we have plenty of loonies here, born and bred in the good 'ol US of A. Rather than build a wall around my house, I'd like to find out what organizations are trying to thwart/help them and contribute. More of a long-term fix.

Moderator 8:26 AM  

Reagan's "Are you better off today than you were four years ago" campaign style was pretty brilliant regardless of his politics. Obama would help himself to steal the line as his own.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP