Thursday, October 09, 2008

I Know There Are Bigger Problems

We're at war (?) and the economy is tanking and people are panicking and it's all going haywire. Here's a paragraph that explains the current state of internet broadcasting from the guy who runs SomaFM (one of my favorites):

SomaFM and most other internet broadcasters have technically been operating "out of compliance" (that is, we're not paying the royalties we are supposed to be paying). At some point, we can't keep doing this... someone will sue us for copyright infringement. SoundExchange has informally agreed to not sue any broadcasters who continue negotiations with them, that's why stations are still on the air. Other large services like iMeem and Last.FM have made direct deals with the large record labels, in most cases resulting in the "Big 4" record labels owning a part of those companies. (And with that ownership comes influence over the music they feature.)


These royalties for internet broadcasters were determined years ago, before there was a proliferation of stations to choose from or an idea of what might be at stake. They are now going into effect and are unfair. The rates they're threatening are nearly twice what satellite radio will have to pay, and terrestrial radio pays none of these types of royalties. So, the small, upstart business either has to align with a major label and be influenced, or cease to exist when the crushing royalty fees are collected.

I've donated money to SomaFM when possible. I bought t-shirts to support them, and in the past year, I've become a huge fan of Pandora as well. If these sites are forced to work with the major labels, I will lose interest, as I did with last.fm. I also don't understand how that ownership and influence is anything other than payola.

I have been exposed to a LOT of new music through SomaFM and Pandora. The work Pandora did to map the "music genome" is extraordinary. If it's licensed out to some major so I am guided to the new Janet Jackson record every time I listen to music, it would be a real tragedy.

I know there are bigger fish to fry right now, but it's a pivotal time for people who love music and have found a resource in web broadcasts (like me). If you can, please contact your representatives about the issue. At the very least, check out Pandora or SomaFM to see what the fuss is about.

The small labels want this service, the marketing departments of the bigger labels like the service, and music fans everywhere are in line, I think. It's the industry/government watchdogs, like Soundexchange and the CRB that are poisoning the well by putting profits ahead of the arts themselves.

0 comments:

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP