Saturday, October 25, 2008

Hate and Fear as a Platform

The most disturbing aspect of this election, to me, has been the negativity. We've seen negativity in the past, but it seems to have hit new heights this round. Obama has been called a terrorist, liar, radical, and a number of other incendiary terms. What is upsetting is that under the current administration, we've gone to war, used torture, and lost significant domestic rights based on lies and the concept of "terror" and yet Obama, with his positive, intelligent message, is being called the terrorist.

I'm not hearing the speculative attacks on McCain. I guess there's the "he's old" thing, but that's irrefutable - also, not an attack. Nobody is calling him anti-American or secretly evil. There's plenty of disagreement with his policy, but I have not heard the same vitriolic name calling as there is toward Obama.

Then there's the girl who made up the story about being attacked by an Obama supporter for having a McCain bumper sticker. Here's the news report, but consider the deeper implications.

1. Some people will still think she was coerced into changing her story.

2. More insidiously, she made up a story of violence to prove that Obama is a terrorist breeding more terrorists. BUT, she actually hurt herself (or had someone do it) to advance this cause - that's essentially terrorism itself.

I don't want this angle to be lost. People that I am aware of who support Obama are not violent fear-mongers. This sociopath (McCain supporter) was trying to subvert Obama by hurting herself and creating a sense of fear that does not exist. Deplorable.

Same conclusion as my post about my neighbors - it would be great if all the arguments I've heard FOR McCain were NOT about what's wrong with Obama. I would not cast my vote based on fear.

0 comments:

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP