Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Not About Football (for my wife)

Michel Gondry may be my favorite artist. He does things that seem like they should be visually impossible, yet they're totally smooth and seamless. I'd call him "fluid and highly eclectic". I became aware of his style with "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and realized that I had known of him much longer when I got the Palm Pictures compendium of his music videos.

There's something about his style, whether it's the study of construction/deconstruction of anything you can see, his seemingly DIY mechanics, the use of common themes (hands, windows, etc.) or just his surrealistic whimsy that keeps me enthralled.

He now has a few videos on YouTube, and I can easily forgive him for a commercial venture.

Two new movies in the hopper, too - "Be Kind Rewind" coming in January and "Master of Space and Time" (screenplay by Dan Clowes!) sometime in the future.

2 comments:

Moderator,  12:20 PM  

I loved "Eternal Sunshine" but hadn't a clue who directed it.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP