Games Not Over
...and I recall at the end of the 2005 season, when Rex Grossman finally got back to the field, that I made mention that if he got some protection, he'd be deadly. He called the play - he said if he made 24 points, they should win in the playoffs. He did his part.
Seems like the Bears are a team of excellent players that just don't have the final few pieces of the puzzle in place. I don't think Grossman is the problem, although I'll lose patience with him and all the caveats by the end of this season if he doesn't show up as the superstar.
I thought then, and I think now, that the offensive line could be that final puzzle piece. They had at least one good play in the first half today, but if they could only give Grossman another two seconds each play, we'd be unstoppable. As it stands, we're stoppable. I don't blame it on Rex, either. And I don't envy his position, either. If he were to start bagging on the line, he'd either get clobbered every down or Kreutz would do it directly.
This is a great team and it's coached well (with the exception of Ron Turner who I'm losing faith in as well) so if they could solidify the offense, they'd win the Superbowl.
One more thing - I like the "more aggressive" defense, but I miss the interceptions and sacks. Seems like we can't get it all at once.
***Update: So the Bears held on to win, but if Devin Hester was out with an injury or something, it would have been tied. My impression? The O-line has more to prove than Grossman or Benson. Also, I think we need some more fluid play calling on offense. When there are calls I would have made differently before the snap and it appears that I would have been right, it makes me think something is wrong. Scanning the rest of the league, I see QBs with plenty of time to pass. And I think Benson is average. They should try Wolfe.


6 comments:
The Bears were lucky to squeak out a win (via special teams) against what looks like the worst team in the NFL.
Grossman could definitely use more blocking, but the reason that other QBs in the league have more time is that they make in-play adjustments to keep off the defenders. Grossman has to struggle just to keep his pants from falling down on any given play.
If Grossie shits the bed next Sunday in prime time against the Cowboys he'll be dead to the Chicago fans, and have his career cemented as permanent back-up QB for the Edmonton Eskimos.
Dallas defense seems to be giving up some points so hopefully Bears can eke one out of them.
If not, I'm back to doom and gloom. Watching Tom Brady manhandle the same defense that gave us such problems didn't give me any end-of-seasons hopes.
You say other quarterbacks have more time, I say Grossman has a below average ability to improvise. We're probably both right.
Going back to the San Diego game, If we had a competent QB that could have turned Rex's turn-overs in the red zone into TDs we could have offset the running game and sailed through with an opening day win.
I'm just sayin'...
But we know he can make passes. He did it for half the season or more last year. What's different this year?
I don't think Grossman is a Brady or Manning (the good one) but he shouldn't need to be. With the wunderkind running back and all that skill at receiver and tight end, he should have plenty of looks and options. That doesn't seem to be the case. I think Mushin is old and Berrian is grossly overrated. Davis is quick but only has a handful of dangerous plays designated to him, apparently. And why is Bradley sitting on the sidelines for a full game?
The big problem here is turnover at the QB position. We've gone through so many that I understand why Lovie wanted to root in with Rex and try to develop him. If that's not working AND we don't have a running game, I don't think Griese or Orton will fare any better. Something bigger has to happen on offense.
Romo's contract is up in Dallas at the end of this year.
Open the vault and bring him home!
Post a Comment